Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ owners--please comment/advise

Duganboy
Duganboy Posts: 1,118
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did a low and slow on an 8 lb pork butt last night.  Got the fire started and stabilized with a grate temp of 250.  Put the butt on at 9 pm.  Beautiful thin smoke and temp sitting dead on 250 when I went to bed at midnight.

Woke up at 7:30 am to my Maverick buzzer going off, ran outside and the temp on the DigiQ was 292.  How long it was this high I have no idea.  This was the fourth low and slow and the first time this has happened.  What happened, guys?

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Did you choke down the fan? Sounds like the fan was too wide open. If you have a large, you only need the fan opened 1/3. Also, make sure your daisy wheel is only opened slivers.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Duganboy
    Did you choke down the fan? Sounds like the fan was too wide open. If you have a large, you only need the fan opened 1/3. Also, make sure your daisy wheel is only opened slivers.
    LBGE.  Had fan open 1/2 not 1/3 and I had the DW open more that a sliver.  Probably like half of the opening in the DW was open.
  • Duganboy
    Yes, LBGE.  Blower was open 1/2 and the eyes of the DW were about 1/2 open.  By eyes, I mean the vents with the wheel itself.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    That's what's nice about the Stoker fan, when the fan isn't on, the door closes, not allowing much air into the cooker.
  • troutgeek
    edited June 2012
    1/2 is too far open for me up here at 950 feet above sea level in Wisconsin. I need to choke it down to about 1/3. Sometimes 1/4. The DW is also only open a sliver -- like maybe 1/4 open. Otherwise, it just gets too hot for the DigiQ to manage the minimum temp.

Oh yes, I too have a LBGE.
  • Duganboy
    @troutgeek I bet that was the problem.  I bought it directly from the manufacturer, so I'm going to run those settings by them before I do another one.
  • troutgeek
    Sounds like a plan. You're going to love the DigiQ once you get your settings down.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited June 2012
    If you set your daisy wheel to a setting that you know will not get above your desired temp, you should be fine. You should be able to leave your fan door wide open and if the daisy wheel is closed too much, the fan should kick in to force it to where it needs to be. JMO, having them set as close as possible will not allow the fan to kick on as much.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I dampen the fan to 1/3 and almost close the daisy wheel (just a sliver) when I do a 220F cook.  Fan kicks on for about a second every 7 or 8 seconds.  My gasket was shot, just put a nomex on, so I'll probably have to open the DW a bit more next time.  Stays exactly at my set temp for the whole cook (until I open it at least).
    You guys have convinced me I had too much air flowing thru.  Thanks