Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First shot at pizza on the mini

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I thought I put in a nice load of charcoal but at 500 degrees it burns off pretty fast but lasted this cook. Took about 20 minutes to get to 500 with clean smoke i then had to control the temp because it wanted to rise. After the initial pizza i was getting to 500 but it took time and wide open vents with the opening and closing.
This is my first time using double zero flour and I must say it makes a difference. Less sticky and much more smooth from peel to stone. 2 cups of flour yielded 4 pizzas at 4 oz of dough a piece.Setup was 2 stones that cost $9.99 at cost plus, 3 terracotta feet in between stones. I didnt brush the crust with oil, it would have looked better also with this crust the thinner ones came out much better.

I didn wait more than 30 minutes after the stones were in for preheat, i dont think it made much difference. Pizzas were on 8 - 10 minutes as I struggled to keep the temp in the 500 range after a while. Also, the inner part of my gasket is black is that a burned gasket? Seems to be working fine, it was charred at my last cook of 400 so if it is I doubt a warm up period of cooks at 350 would make a drastic difference.

image   image
image  image

Seattle, WA

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Very nice pizzas on the mini are lots of fun but I usually eat one or 2 while the others are cooking. You have to invest in the mini Woo it makes life much easier.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Only because practice makes perfect, and the stuff is there to make em did pizzas again. This time 550 to 600 degrees with the in between being the sweet spot, had a stone failure of the one on the grill. Also i did most with daisy wheel off but noticed when i threw the daisy wheel on towards the end and kept the 500 degree temp i could get the top and crust slightly better so I will try it again that way. Still room for improvement.

Did a 4 pack again about an hour total from lit charcoal to done, threw the ones finished in the oven until we all sat for dinner. Preheat @ 500 + was only 10 minutes saw no difference in the stone or pizzas so no need to wait to long especially on the mini. Gasket is really getting toasted but I wonder if Mini owners have the least to worry about with gaskets since we dont really use for long smoking??
    image  image
    imageimage
    Seattle, WA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I use the 00 flour and Friday night is our pizza night.  You look like you did a great job on the crusts.  Great food and a lot of fun doing it.