Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Twin Cities area source for good Brisket and Butt (found frozen, is that typical?)

lemonadelemonade Posts: 93
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello,  I'm looking for a good source for the above.  I've hit Von Hansons but their brisket was frozen.  Where should I look for fresh items, or do people buy it frozen typically? 
Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

• troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    Here up north, packer briskets are somewhat hard to find. In Madison, I found two sources. One frozen, where I had to call ahead for pickup, and one unfrozen, still packaged. Try googling for a source in your area.

As for butts, I've had no problem getting them. Costco, various butchers, no problem. You may see them labeled as pork shoulders...

Being in the twin cities, well, they frown upon anything called Packer...
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,090
    I live just north in Big Lake. I go to T&R meats in Clearwater. Very old school but I get choice cut shoulders for $1.60/ lb never frozen/ no solution added. I also get full packers. When I buy a big order ($300+), I will get it frozen.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 544
    Pork butts can be found @ Cub, Jerry's, Von Hansens, Costco.  I was trying to find a full packer and had no luck, flats seem to be the only thing that is readily available, Costco always has a large selection of the flats.
    Edina, MN

If your flats are anything like Madison's Costco flats, they tend to be small. A large one at our Costco is about 6 lbs, but at least they are choice.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Elmer FuddElmer Fudd Posts: 65
    Just picked up a 9.5 pounder at Von Hansons meat. They keep them in the back and not frozen Shop vacced the egg almost like new, fresh lump. Just trying to figure out how many hours to anticipate dinner time tomorrow. I have the Maverick and will cook to temp.

Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
    Could be 18, but will probably be 14. As you already mentioned, cook till temp. You could crutch it at plateau, and get it done in less time.