Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get 700 deg

Oledog
Oledog Posts: 118
edited November -1 in Using the Egg
:unsure: I can't seem to get the egg to 700 deg; what could I be missing? The highest I have been able to reach is 650 deg.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    what's your set up?
    are you using the proverbial "handful of lump"?

the only things that make a hot fire are:
    -air (airflow top and bottom)
    -enough fuel
    -time

the hottest fire is had by stirring the lump to rid it of ash, or using fresh lump. lighter lump (like cowboy) lights a bit faster, and burns quicker, but any lump will hit nuke temps

airflow needs to be unrestricted. totally open lower vent, daisy wheel OFF, not simply wide open.

...after that, it's just waiting. maybe 15 minutes.
    make sure your inner fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. after starter cubes burn off (or any other starter stuff), shut the dome to establish the draft.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Hey thanks for the tips; I do use the Cowboy charcoal and will check out the level I am using.

Thanks for the feed back;
    Oledog
  • onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    I seared some steaks last night and in 10 min. with both bottom and top open all the way.....the temp gauge pegged past 750 degrees. I had leftover lump in the fire box which I moved all around to make sure the air holes were clear. I thought the darn thing was going to take off.
    Chesapeake, VA