Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken

BigTex33
BigTex33 Posts: 40
edited June 2012 in Poultry
This was my first attempt at spatchcock chicken.  Chicken was phenomenal!  I usually fix beer can chicken (with good success) but I think this way is a little better.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Easier and quicker as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    awesome....i think it's time to try this method tomorrow....what temp and guidelines did you use??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited June 2012

I go with raised grid direct around 350-400 (wherever it settles) until around 160 in the breast and 180+ in the thigh, somewhere around an hour +/- to cook.  I do ice the breasts for around 20 mins before tossing on the BGE.  Check out the naked whiz site for more info.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492

I go with raised grid direct around 350-400 (wherever it settles) until around 160 in the breast and 180+ in the thigh, somewhere around an hour +/- to cook.  I do ice the breasts for around 20 mins before tossing on the BGE.  Check out the naked whiz site for more info.

I love spatchcock chicks. Tell me more about icing the breasts. Why?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Since the thighs generally need a bit more cooking than the breast, Icing the breast bring its temp down so that it can finish at the same time as the thighs, and keep everything juicy & done.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

tazcrash has it nailed on the ice reason.  Not original but makes sense when trying to get one chix cooked to a couple of different finish temps.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Some fine looking birds. Spatchcock over BCC all they way.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Thanks Tazcrash. I am grilling two birds Sat and will try icing the breasts. Other than drying in the fridge over night, how do you get it to come out crispy?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • BigTex33
    BigTex33 Posts: 40
    I placed my chickens so the legs and thighs were toward the hotter spots of my egg.  Everything seemed to finish at the same time but I am gonna try icing the breasts next cook.  What a great idea, Taz.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

my wife used the naked whiz recipe yesterday and i will say "best chicken i have eaten if a long time".  Very easy to do and best $5.00 meal you could imagine...thanks for sharing the info.  Best of all it was a simple cooking method for a new "egger".  Going back to stock up on the 99 cent/lb birds today!!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    I am going to give it a go today!!!  If the rain lets up i have some canadian bacon i dry cured as well.  I may put that in the Bradley.  I did some tomohawk ribeyes last night.   They were about 2. 75 lbs each, and they were awesome.  I will be eating it all week.  I also wrapped some corn on the cob with bacon and garlic, and threw them on with tin foil.  when they were done, removed the foil and finshed direct to crisp up the bacon....  It was one good meal!  Also had some grilled vidalia onions to top off the ribeyes.   If the chicken comes out like the steaks,,,, i can't wait for a taste!  Happy egging everybody

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• steky
    steky Posts: 2
    Just cooked my first spatchcock chicken, applied rib rub couple hours before.  Pulled off after an hour at 400, brushed on some dip, covered then cooked some fresh squash, zucchini, peppers and onions....it was a great meal.  Thanks for the info.
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Wonder what I did wrong? Tried my first spatchcock today. A 4lb chick. My fire was a little cool about 300-325. Had it on for an hour direct on a meduim BGE. Had dried, rubbed with olive oil, let sit in refrigerator uncovered for about 2 hrs. Wasnt brown & crisp like the one pictured here. The recipe I had said about an hour at 350 so let it go an hour at 300 before checking and finding meat temp at 170. It was ok but a little dry and not nearly as good and juicy as when I cooked the same chicks lo and slow or brined on standing rack indirect. Thermometers were all calibrated. I figured this was an easy cook and liked the way it flattens out once backbone removed but not happy overall. Anyone know if dome versus grill temps vary between medium and large BGE's?
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Also did my first two spatchcocks today as well.  Each bird was about 4.5 lbs.  I iced the breasts for about 15 minutes, as it was suggested by someon in another thread.  They came out perfect.  I am completely amazed at the difference in taste and quality between the egg and the old gasser.  Always had food grilled on charcoal as a kid, and then gas took over because of convenience.  I can not see myself accepting anything cooked with gas again!  Thanks to everybody for their pointers and experiences, it helps all of us noobs.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Skyboy
    Skyboy Posts: 2
    How do you ice the breasts?

• Skyboy said:
    How do you ice the breasts?

put some ice in a zip lock bag and drape over the breast. I throw a little water in there too for better coverage

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Spatchcock over beer can any day I the week. Looks great. Like the table too!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $