Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bubba burgers

bostonjosh
bostonjosh Posts: 67
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone else given in to the ease of the bubba burger?

I used to make my own patties, but with 2 young kids... Well let's just say I've had to ease up on my own preferences...

Comments

• STANGOJE
    STANGOJE Posts: 44
    I don't like them, very high fat content. 
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    They're not bad but over priced.

Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Terrible. If I want a burger (which I love) I want fresh ground 80-20, and make my own.
  • Way too pressed and firm for me. Plus I like my seasoning mixed in
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lowlightbw
    lowlightbw Posts: 52
    The sodium content on 1 bubba burger is very high. I stay away and make my own. I would make more than you need and freeze the rest. Much like the bubba burger.
  • bostonjosh
    bostonjosh Posts: 67
    Ok fine I'll rethink this. Stupid question: any advice on freezing patties? I've often found my frozen/thawed patties to be a disappointment... Too much of that brown ooze during the cook. I realize "how to freeze" isn't the world's most challenging problem... But... Well... There u have it.

Ironic, really... I think make awesome steak and ribs and tenderloin and brisket... But I've never been proud of my simple burger...
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    I don't know about burgers, but for everything else my trick to freezing is:  Vacuum seal, and keep in a *non frost free freezer*.  Frost free freezers work by heating up above freezing now and again to allow the frost to melt - which means your food (or at least the outer portions thereof) keep getting frozen, thawed, and refrozen.
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Pink Slime in most commercially produced burgers. I like using fresh mea
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Not a fan of frozen burgers. I don't mind the effort in making fresh. Plus it allows me to stuff them with different cheeses. Depending on what I have. Feta, blue, cheddar. I even used a roasted red pepper cream cheese as it was all I had. Was actually pretty good.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Bubba makes a reduced fat burger...the only one we'll buy...but I too prefer making my own, generally from ground sirloin...which hopefully actually is ground sirloin.  It's real easy.  I have one of those tupperware presses, but stopped using it.  I prefer to just use a digital kitchen scale to weigh out enough for each burger, then press the ground into a burger using my hands.  To freeze (it may be a waste) I individually ziplock each burger...but usually I make them fresh, so I only freeze if the package of ground sirloin was more than we needed.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    My local butcher does up patties with various ingredients and rubs mixed in...they are as good as I could make up myself.  So far my favorite is a chili cheese burger...awesome!  They mix it up with chili powder, onions, cheddar cheese, and one of their own line of rubs.  Good stuff and now I am getting hungry.  :D
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    My local butcher does up patties with various ingredients and rubs mixed in...they are as good as I could make up myself.  So far my favorite is a chili cheese burger...awesome!  They mix it up with chili powder, onions, cheddar cheese, and one of their own line of rubs.  Good stuff and now I am getting hungry.  :D
    Yeah buying those made up ones with all the stuff you like in them is the best way to go! I love getting those!
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    i buy my meat mostly from farmers markets and ive found that most farmers that have mainly beef will also have patties pre made and frozen ready for use.  They are very handy for when i wanna throw one in the new wave oven.  I also have a patty press i use for when i make my own for the BGE.  if you freeze them on a cookie sheet then vac seal them you should be good to go that way too... otherwise they will freeze together if you dont do the cookie sheet deal (been there, done that)
  • tvest43
    tvest43 Posts: 20

I see I'm in he minority here, I love the Bubba Burgers with Vidalia onion.  Just salt and pepper 'em and throw 'em on the egg.  Top it with some Martin's Potato rolls, fresh tomato, onion and mustard.....yummy.

• Ok fine I'll rethink this. Stupid question: any advice on freezing patties? I've often found my frozen/thawed patties to be a disappointment... Too much of that brown ooze during the cook. I realize "how to freeze" isn't the world's most challenging problem... But... Well... There u have it.

Ironic, really... I think make awesome steak and ribs and tenderloin and brisket... But I've never been proud of my simple burger...
    Not a stupid question at all. If you like them
    Or want to try them, go for it and let us know how they are. I have a buddy who is a great cook who loves them and eats nothing else (its the only place ive had them).

It's a big world out there so don't worry about asking questions regarding things you want to try or things you have seen. There may be stupid questions, but I havent seen one on here yet. Stupid comments?..........whole different story :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX