Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a turkey on the xl Sat night Need some advice!!

bam7722
bam7722 Posts: 5
edited June 2012 in Poultry

Hey all,

I have read just about every post pertaining to turkey. However, for Fathers day Im cooking for the entire family. I am cooking a pork butt @ 235 for 15-18 hours untill its 200 inside. I am also stacking 4 racks of beef ribs to cook, and I have a turkey. I bought the turkey stand, It will all fit on the egg the way I planned, but How long will a turkey take to cook at 235 since I really cant go much higher in temp with out wrecking my ribs and pork?? any suggestions are more then welcome! This is the third cook on my xl!

Comments

• Figure about one hour per pound &it use instant read thermometer to insure temp
  • bam7722
    bam7722 Posts: 5
    20 lb turkey, yikes thats a 20hr cook! yum!
  • I'm looking to do a turkey on the XL as soon as it's ready. I don't care how long this thing takes... pork butt is on the list too.
  • WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    edited June 2012
    Bam

You need to be careful about cooking a turkey at low temps, especially one that size.  There is a danger zone temperature with turkeys, and if you don't get out of that danger zone fast enough, bad things happen to it.  Usually you cook turkeys warmer, 275+.

Google search "turkey danger zone"

This is what i've been told and read.  Other's might be able to correct me.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Interesting comment turkey danger zone something to be mindful of.Found on the web:
    The two most common pathogens associated with turkeys, and the ones we aim to blast before serving, are Campylobacter and Salmonella, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). These pathogens can't grow until the temperature hits 41 degrees Fahrenheit, and they are killed off when the thermometer reaches 165 degrees F.

How to measure a turkey's doneness: Stick a tip-sensitive digital thermometer into perhaps eight to 10 spots on the turkey. If the thermometer reads at least 165 degrees F all around, it can come out. Chapman says to target areas of thick muscle away from the turkey cavity and bone. The bone conducts heat much better than does the meat and so could give you a false reading.