Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packing Egg for Overseas

Sabbat
Sabbat Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, seems like the wife, kid and I will be moving to Abu Dhabi (seriously!) in September. So I will have to pack my L BGE up, put it in a container and hope the Somalian pirates have no idea of how precious it is. So my question is the following: I kept my 2 boxes the egg was shipped in, so now I just need suggestions on if and how to dissamble the egg and how to safely pack it for a long trip.
Any suggestions?

Also, I haven't forgotten you guys with the Sugar Maple wood questions, I'll smoke some salmon next week and let you know how it goes.
Cheers!
Nick

Comments

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Wow, good luck, and good luck moving the precious commodity! :laugh: I think I'd call the manufacturer to get their advice on disassembling/not; and shipping?
  • Sorry, but Eggs are on the State Dept list of items prohibited for export. Something to do with National Barbecue security and allowing high-tech cookers to fall into enemy hands. I'll be happy to store it on my back patio 'till you get back, though!
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    I would look at the foam in place type packaging. There are a number of places that have it, a search will find someone near you. Are you going to have to ship charcoal also?
  • buy a new egg and have them ship it :whistle:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Whatever you do, don't you pack it. Let the moving company pack it because now it is covered under THEIR moving warranty. If you pack it and it breaks, you are out of luck. If they pack it and it breaks, you have a claim and can get it replaced.
  • Sabbat
    I'll probably have to ship charcoal and some smoking chips seeing that I'll land in the middle of a desert. I was thinking of dropping the fire pit and ring into HD packing peanuts.
  • Sabbat
    That`s why I'm shipping out of Canada, so it doesn't fall under government piracy acts :P
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    I think the more pertinent question is: Can you get lump there?????
  • Sabbat
    I'll bring a few bags with me, just in case. But the locals are pretty good bbqers (think Shewarma and Shish Tahouk), so I should find some lump there, and if not, I'll try and make some...!
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    From a nurse to the doctor--that is just WRONG. Funny, but wrong... :laugh:
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Looks like it would be time to have a couple of pallets shipped!!
  • Hello again from Abu Dhabi, Any dealers out their want the challenge of selling me an egg and shipping it to Abu Dhabi. I will of course pay for the BGE and shipping and handling and any other expenses you may incur. Thanks!!!
  • Sabbat
    Update from Abu Dhadi.
    Been here for two years now, so I thought I'd give you an update on a few things:
    -Shipping a BGE: The moving company I used wrapped the egg in bubble (huge) wrap, then in a moving blanket, then a lot of packing tape. Egg was in perfect shape on arrival. Still is now, other than the cap and all metal parts having rust over with all the sand/salt from sea water in the air.
    -Lump: Was lucky enough to find decent lump at a grocery store (Spinney's). It was Kingsford Lump so I bought 8 bags. I ran out and went back and they haven't resupplied in over 14 months! Called Kingsford and asked who they supplied with this type of lump in the UAE and they said they never shipped here!!! Scary...
    I found a No Name decent one at a place called Dubai garden Center. Went to restock: out of stock and have been for over a year!
    So now I'm close to finishing all my stocks and will keep you posted on my adventures!
    Best!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012

I sent this mini (same just smaller) to Afghanistan and made it fine. Bubblewrap is your friend.

imageimageimageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Renewing an old thread, but after doing some research on BGE and Lump in the UAE I found this thread. I am considering an offer to head over to Dubai for a few years and don't want to go without my Egg. Have not found a vendor there, so may try and get mine shipped the same way.

By the way, I found online that the LuLu Hypermarket near the Mall of the Emirates in Dubai sells Lump.. let me know if you find any!
  • Sabbat
    Hey killborn,
    The problem is not getting lump, it's getting good lump. And my options are dried up. Do ship your bge there still isn't a dealer. Will keep you guys posted if I find a lump source
  • Sabbat
    Hey all, 
    just another update from my overseas experience on the sustainability of a BGE experience in the UAE.
    -The Egg: Most of the metals parts are holding pretty well other than rusting: the humid sea air carries lots of salt to help with that. But all is good.
    -Plate setter issues: I had cracked my plate setter and, as I described in another thread successfully glued it back together. Because of the humid air and plus 50 degree temperature, I did have to repeat the process but it has been holding better: trick was using a thinnner layer of adhesive.
    -Smoking wood: We have ACE hardware here that carries the Webber (is that a curse word on this forum?) brand wood chips, plus a few grocery stores have funky other brands to try so no issues there.
    -Lump: a constant struggle still exists. However, since I am allowed two check in baggage from Canada, I now pack 2-3 bags of Basque Sugar Maple Lump Charcoal on every trip back (checked with 3 different airlines and they have no issues with charcoal). Mixed with some of the name name brand here, I survive.
    -Pork: being a muslim country, some of you might think it's impossible to find good pork here. However, I find myself surprised in finding quality pork products (meat, saussage, bacon, etc.) of greater variety than back home. Most of the ham we find in Canada is pre smoked and pre cooked. Here, I smoked a 22 lb (they even took off 6 lbs since it wouldn't fit on teh egg) bone-in pre cured leg with excellent results. However, price is about double than back home.
    -Camel: still haven't tried it on the Egg, will keep you posted.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited January 2013

We've shipped several Eggs out of the country in the past 6 months with their owners assistance.  Isreal, Australia and France just this week.   We've been lucky and no real damage thus far.   Getting good fuels in far away places may be a challenge.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Smitty.......what would you estimate shipping cost to Afghanistan for a LG or an xl?