Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Friday

Options
HolySmokes
HolySmokes Posts: 446
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It was definitely fish Friday last week;
it started with live oysters egged on the half-shell with DP rub, butter, and cocktail sauce.
050612oysters1.jpg[p]then we switched to fresh clams (which should have been steamed; they were a little tough)
050612clams1.jpg[p]and the finale with the scallops and fresh zucchini (DP rubz again, with lots of garlic) was wonderful.
050612scallops1.jpg[p]good eats, thanks to the egg!
HolySmokes

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    Butter and Raging River is my favorite for both zuchinni and scallops. That stuff is flat out good.[p]Mike

• HolySmokes
    Options
    Mike,[p]It's become a staple around here. 4 kids and not one complains about the
    food, the rubs, and only occasionally the peppers.[p]congrats on the walk-a-thon!
    Dugal

• RocketMan
    RocketMan Posts: 67
    Options
    HolySmokes,[p]the oysters look great - I've always wanted to try them (and clams on the half shell...) - more details? Time, temp, any smoke?[p]Thanks in advance... Andy
  • HolySmokes
    Options
    Rocketman,[p]First time I'd tried oysters; they were good.[p]time; until they were done! about 30m @350 direct, as you can see... played with them during the cook, with adding the butter, then sauce after they were warmed up well... I threw in a chunk of guava, some pear... as I remember there was a leftover chunk of mesquite in there too, so... yes, smoke![p]the oysters were actually too large (one as large as your hand), but they cooked up fine, and with the rub, butter, garlic, and sauce and they came out very nicely.[p]HS

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    HolySmokes,[p]Everything looks wonderful. To help out the clams (or mussels too) wait for them to just get warm, add some crushed garlic, count to ten, add chopped tomato & a handful of basil. Toss & splash with wine, cover your wok with foil until they open. Have plenty of french bread ready to soak up the broth.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • HolySmokes
    Options
    thirdeye,
    absolutely. sounds great. I'll try your recipe.[p]my problem was this 'wok' has holes in the bottom, which is why I said they should've been steamed. no juice = tough clams.[p]best, HS

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    HolySmokes,[p]After another look at your pictures I see them.... What is that wok designed for?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • HolySmokes
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]it's not a wok so much as a grill-top, used for veggies, etc. which might otherwise slip through a normal grill.[p]I do need a wok for the egg; the good one I have was brought back from China and is sized to fit on top of a cutout 55 gallon drum... i.e. huge.[p]cheers, HS
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    next time, for the clams. .. .pour some liquid in your wok (white wine is what i use for mussels), then put the clams in a collander in the wok. ..create the steam to open the clams and make them more tender. .worked great for the mussels. ..although you may want to cover them part of the time with some aluminum foil to hold in the steam (don't worry, they'll still pick up the smoke as well). .
    DSCN1178.jpg