Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Stop Drilling" Cracks on Fire Box (no warranty)

Options
Chumly
Chumly Posts: 18
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I am developing a crack in my Small BGE fire box. The link Below is an early post of mine describing the damage....

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140409/crack-forming-in-small-firebox-do-i-fix-it-or-just-leave-it-alone#latest

My dad and I have an Idea to fix it or at least minimize the damage. Im thinking of "stop drilling" the crack at the base of the crack Just like they do with aircraft aluminum parts.... except on my egg.... with a masonry bit.... without a professional.... Im already nervous and second guessing myself.

I realize this could make the situation worse. however, I would think the crack will likely continue down the firebox wall and eventually split regardless of my repair attempts. Am I right in my assumption?  Do you all think this could work? Am I crazy to even entertain the thought?

Comments

• Chumly
    Options
    I am also entertaining the Idea of going past a mere stop drill, and opening/cleaning up the crack to essentially turn it into an expansion slot similar to the new firebox design. I realize this may be getting carried away, Im mostly thinking out loud via posting.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'm new to the egg but I would maybe let it be and not remove it from the egg at all. Once it does finally kick and crumbles from movement u chalk it up and buy a new one to last another dozen years or so.
    Seattle, WA
  • UofFGator
    UofFGator Posts: 1
    Options
    i would try some jb weld. I had a crack in my base a few months back i took a dremel and channeled out the crack and used jb weld and it has held. Worse case scenario if it does break atleast you are just replacing a small fire box and not nothing to expensive. I would totally give jb weld a try
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    FWIW, plenty of guys here have used their egg with fire boxes broken into multiple pieces and stacked in the egg like puzzle pieces. So you might be over thinking this.

However if you decide to do this, the worst you can do is move up your firebox purchase up. ;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Like taz says. Let her be.
    It'll crack, and then it won't any more. Until it does again.
    The whole time the egg will roll along just fine.

It's a wonder the fireboxes last as long as they do.

When it becomes unuseable, you can get the warranty replacement. Can get it sooner if you want, once it breaks thru completely. Then just put the replacement on the shelf and keep using the cracked one.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2012
    Options
    What stike said.  My firebox cracked and broke into 4 pieces during the first year.  I got a replacement firebox under warranty which is still sitting in my garage after 10 years.  They break.  They do not crumble.  If your firebox breaks into pieces that will sit in place and do its job, then there is no need to panic or take any corrective action. 

Personally, I think it would be a very interesting experiment if someone took the new firebox with the vertical slit, and just sawed it in half so you had two pieces.  See what happens then.  If I had one, I'd do it 'fer sure.  (Any volunteers?  ;)   )
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    edited June 2012
    Options
    i believe one of the other makers ships their kamados with two piece fireboxes, don't they?
    all i know is my old one split in two.  then in four.  then in eight....  :))

maybe the initial stress is greatest, and hence the sawn firebox idea, staving off the first crack as long as possible.  but i think the ceramic will continue to crack eventually.  we're talking continuous exposure to cuppla thousand degrees.

if there were a three-piece or four-piece set up, and you could buy just the piece which failed (instead of a new firebox each time), maybe they could get the cost down to where it was another sacrifical item (something you expect to replace eventually, like the gasket).  that would take BGE off the perpetual hook of covering these things forever.  that's a liability, given that EVERY firebox eventually breaks.

dunno. i have to think the BGE culture has taken these things to much higher temps than they historically were used at.  maybe 15-20 years ago no one went to 750+ regularly.  now we're doing clean burns, and high temp pizza cooks. 

i think the answer is somewhere in the middle.  stop expecting the lifetime warranty on something which we KNOW is going to break, but also reconfigure it to minimize cracking, and to allow partial replacement when the time comes (rather than require the expense of a totally new firebox, coupled with high shipping charges)

>soapbox dismounted, and "into one of these things"(Bill Murray, as Frank Cross in 'Scrooged')<
  • kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    Options
    I got a replacement firebox under warranty which is still sitting in my garage after 10 years.
    When I got my firebox replaced under warranty, the dealer wouldn't give me the new firebox until I gave him the old, broken one. I thought it was reasonable, but it doesn't seem to be the normal procedure for warranty replacement.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I must be doing something wrong.... 1 piece fire box. 

There I jinxed it!

X_X
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Chumly
    Options
    Everyone is probably right, and I should just leave it alone and continue to cook on the egg and jus pretend that I never noticed the crack.

However....

My thought process is along the lines of the fact that I
    have no warranty. It’s going to continue to crack if left alone, and it appears
    unlikely that I will “break” the firebox to unusable levels by drilling a small
    hole.

If everything works out this may just delay more cracking
    for a few more years. (I realize that hopeful thinking). If it doesn’t work my
    already broken firebox remains broken.

I just cant help but feel as if I’m oversimplifying the
    whole thing. Or at least overlooking a glaring problem with my theory.

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

I just cant help but feel as if I’m oversimplifying the whole thing. Or at least overlooking a glaring problem with my theory.

Oversimplifying?.....no......overanalizing.......yes.

I have 3 eggs and it's safe to say that after I got them home and put them together, I have not even looked at the fireboxes since.  In other words it's a none issue.  If it makes you feel better apply JB weld and be done with it.

• BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    Options
    The fire box on my small is in 3 pieces. It makes it easier to remove when I do a thorough cleaning. Put back together, it works like a one piece unit.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Stike, i don't think the heat, per se, is the problem.  the problem is that the firebox is a complex shape with curves in two directions, holes in the side, a thicker rim on top than the walls below it, a gap cut in the side of the lower ring, etc.  I have to think this is purely stresses being sent in all different directions, and causing the cracks.  The simpler the shape is, the fewer number of stresses to fight each other.  Clearly, that's what they were attempting when they made the new slotted box.  I just think they should try it by creating two halves.  That would also give you the half-replacement option you suggest.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    Options
    i think one of the manufacturers sells a two-piece.
    i just know that when my firebox made itself into a two-piece, it kept going and made even more eventually.
    :))
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    My Medium firebox came with an expansion joint (its about a year old).  Are they doing that for all sizes now?
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    edited June 2012
    Options
    My large is also cut through from new. I believe they are all like that now.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    And they appear to be still cracking, although I'm not sure we know at what rate.
    The Naked Whiz