Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18 1/2 inch weber cooking grate

Options
Bdcoaibge
Bdcoaibge Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Will this weber cooking grate work on a large bge.

Comments

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    I was wondering about putting bricks on bge grill to raise it and using weber smoker grill. I have a plate setter, will this work or do i need a woo?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I have the Weber 18.5" grid with lift up flaps to put in more coal, and handles. 
    I have to say the handles are nice, but the flaps are a PITA. They aren't big enough to access any food through it, and if you want to want to use bricks, you need to be careful with placement.
    I've used it as a second level for raised direct (with food, actually indirect) over standard grid using bricks, or directly on the plate setter. 
    But if you have the plate setter, and standard grid, you CAN'T use the Weber on top of bricks on top of that. It will be too high in the dome. You will need a smaller grate. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    my standard indirect setup is weber grate handles down on ring, 2 bricks on edge to support regular grate, 3 bricks laying flat down the middle for the indirect setup

its all i used this weekend

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    @fishlessman: Show off! ;)

my standard indirect setup is weber grate handles down on ring, 
    I may have to try that
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    What kind of bricks, firebricks, pavers...?
    18 in. Weber grate? Do you use a drip pan, do you foil the plate setter so it doesn't soak up a bunch of grease?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE