Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hail Damage

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,731
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So this is unrelated to anything BGE. Does anybody know of any product or methods to get Hail damage out of cars?  Insurance is paying for it..but if i can find a way to DIY..i can buy a Small BGE :) So priorities.
·

Comments

• I knew a guy that did this on the side, it takes tools and practice though. Whenever I am trying to figure something out I Youtube it.  There may be tricks or hints on there that may help.

Conway, S.C.
    ·
  • milkman5083milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Or not worry about the damage, run the car till it stops working, save money on no car payments, use the saved money for a new egg or few, and finally have money saved for a new car when hail damaged car stops.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    edited June 2012
    A very few will come out with heat ( sun or gun). Most of them will take paint less.
    Then ones one creases and rounded areas are going to have to have bodywork.
    We used to just give the ins check to the customer but now the ins company makes
    you get work inspected before cutting check.
    If you own the car you may get the check but with a lien the check is going to
    be made out to both of you.
    In the old days hail was your friend, now not at all.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • crmwellcrmwell Posts: 19
    Google paintless dent repair.  My son in law does this for a living and specializes in hail repair.  He currently is working in Louisville,Ky.  Not all PDR guys do hail as it takes special tools as compared to guys that are called "door dingers", take out small dents on the side of your car.  PDR  is about 1/3rd the cost of conventional repair at a body shop where they have to repaint.  If you need any more info you can send me a message. 
    ·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    I have a buddy that companies fly all over the world for this (he's that good, and gets paid extremely well for it).  Where do you live? he lives in MO but was in MI last I spoke with him doing a job and was going to Canada next for another big job.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,731
    I live in colorado.

We have two cars getting inspected from USAA.
    2008 honda civic
    2012 subaru outback

We will def. Get the subaru fixed professionally. But the honda only has two to three dents that bother me(out of 30). So thats why i was looking. Ins already set up a ach transfer once they get the estimate.
    ·
  • eggoeggo Posts: 433
    I heard years ago that dry ice put on the dent would pull it out. Never tried it though.
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 804
    Keep it as is.  Mythbusters found that a car made up to look like the surface of a golf ball actually got better gas mileage. 
    ·
    Lol
    ·
  • BGE4LifeBGE4Life Posts: 34
    I have done dry ice on a very hot day in the center of the dent.  It shrinks the metal and the dent pops out.  The key is that it has to be hot and you need a corner of dry ice with a pliers that you can put into the center of the dent.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,311
    did you get hit by the DFW storm....it was a bad one.   heard damage could approach $2 billion....lot of damage from hail....

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
    Yup. One car got looked at yesterday and its 3800 in damages. The second car gets checked out this morning
    ·
  • My wife is a claims adjuster at USAA, shes been crazy busy all week. We are paying out tons...
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
    ·
  • AirwolfAirwolf Posts: 76
    We had a massive hail storm on April 27th, 2011.  Luckily I did not get any at my house, but with being an estimator for a construction company I was very busy for about a year.  We are just starting some of the repairs this week!!

If you have any questions about how to talk to insurance companies or contractor questions do not be afraid to ask me.

Make sure you have your house checked as well.  The roof, siding, windows (check the areas around the glass for dents if they are metal clad if no glass is broken), exterior lights, doors, fences, etc.  I am sure you will get the 'storm chasers' knocking on your door soon enough.
    ·
    Subaru just got appraised... 4900 in damage. Were just going to pay the $50 deductible to get both fixed
    ·