Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On a Ten Point Scale Where Are You?

SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Wound up at a friend's birthday Saturday, they had BBQ brought in from a local chain. Remember when you thought 'they' were pretty good? That was before BGE. I sampled a liitle of each; pulled pork, ribs, chicken, sides. On my new ten point scale they were in the 3-4 range. I rate my own fledgling efforts on the BGE IN THE 4-7 range although I did ruin a couple of pizzas and tend to overcook the burgers. But a few times I feel like I hit into the 8's. Not sure I know what a 10 is, have to admit. It's harder to go out to eat now!

Comments

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    edited June 2012
    Well lets be honest we all kind of think we are chefs ;)

While I agree with you that I think I can make some good food I don't like to judge myself and let others do it for me. If they love it then I will be happy!! On average I say I usually cook around 6-7 pending what it is of course. I am getting better by the cook!

The real problem is restaurants even BBQ ones don't tend to have high quality standards day in and day out. When we cook on our Egg's we try our best to get as close as we can to perfect. Just my opinion.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2012

Friends gave my ribs a 10 last weekend. I gave them an 8. It's all a
    matter of opinion. Enjoy what you cook and share with friends.

FWIW I think those were the best ribs I made yet and still only rate
    them at an 8 which shows you that sometimes you can be your own worst
    critic.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Lol. I agree. Food not off my egg is just eh... Used to be great now is barely acceptable. Compared to others like straight up vs I'd say I'm a 8. In the big green egg world I'd fall around 4. My buddies this weekend said my ribs were best they've ever had but I'm always my worst critic. While good, I feel like I can do better :)

XLBGE 
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I am always my worse critic.     I made a brisket this weekend and thought "meh".   My wife thought it was so good she gave me permission to go out a buy a second egg.      Tonight I made a chicken and thought "WOW".    I wish she had been home to taste it.     Fortumately  we have left overs.     Based on things I have seen on the site I would rate myself like a 4 max but since I have only had the egg about four weeks I know if is four moving to five and soon to be six and above and I learn.       
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Bone in New York's tonight 24oz each, 8-9 range. When I first got the egg my steaks were a challenge since getting the hang of it steaks are off the charts. Need more work on the ribs and butts though. Last couple times a little on the dry side.

George
    George
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Of my friends I'm the only one with an egg so to them I'm a much better cook than I probably am (8).Compared to other eggers I'm nothing more than average (4.5).

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    My LBGE gives me the advantage, it's hard to mess up ANYthing. Brisket is my only nemisis. The wife instructs me to write down everything I do for each cook. Since I follow instructions well I consider my self about a 7. ;)

Opelika, Alabama
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I've had a lot of Gasser practice, and got really good on other for cook times.
    While i had had a couple 8's and 9's on my low & slows I'm still adjusting to cooking direct, searing(6), and especially pizzas(3)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Lighten up guys, take it easy on yourselves. There is an undertone of dissatisfaction in what you are saying that is unwarranted. Of course we try to make each cook our best (and sometimes achieve it) but that is not to lose sight of what we have gained.
    Last night we went out to dinner and I found little on the menu that I thought might be better than what I could do on the egg. Restaurant pulled pork...no way, Buffalo wings...I don't think so. I am not setting myself up as the consumate egger, far from it, but I enjoy the process as well as the product and if it pleases me and others seem to enjoy it as well, I consider that a home run.
    Don't lose sight of how much is in the glass by looking at how much isn't in it.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    out of my friends, a solid 10. Out of every cook in the world, i'd give myself an 8.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Still new to Egging and haven't tried anything beyond normal grilling (burgers/chicken wings/steak) so I'll say a 4.

Bought a plate setter yesterday so going to start doing more challenging cooks, starting with a piglet this weekend.

Wings and steak are amazing on BGE. I can't seem to get burgers how I want them

Once I successfully do spatchcock, butt, and pizza I'll move up to a 7-8 I guess
    Boom
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I have made some baby back ribs that I thought were very good.  Nice moisture - fell off the bone - great flavor.

This weekend we went to a BBQ party and the joke was that I spent 4+ hours smoking ribs while the person having the BBQ bought the prepackaged, soaked in BBQ sauce ribs that you just heat up.  they were OK ribs but more BBQ sauce them meat flavor but my mother of all people said the prepacked were better than mine.

Guess who is not getting invited to my house for a BBQ any time soon.

I know I just started and I need to learn allot about cooking on the Egg but this pissed me off.  I need to find a class or learn how to use this thing.

Garnerville, NY
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited June 2012
    I am not sure about an actual number, but I am always looking to improve. I always was interested in cooking while growing up, but only recently did I start really pursuing it. I have been cooking probably 4 years, BBQing 3, and egging since March. I am just enjoying the ride. I made a tri tip Friday and I think it was best I have made, and wife agreed. My mother in law told me maybe I should change majors from my current to cooking and open a restaurant, lol. She was joking, half way.. she really liked my pork shoulder, ribs, and carne asada, but all those I consider really simple cooks hehe.

I am not trying to improve, but have fun with it at the same time. I have a meat journal and every cook I enter to it. I sort the journal by meat type, and I have found it helps a lot. Before the egg I did not have a journal (it was recommended here) and I would not always remember, so I didn't always remember my mistakes. Now if I cooked a meal and disliked how smokey it was, I can look at how many wood chunks I used, etc etc.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    literally a four.  with occasional (likely accidental) 8s or 9s.

for me, it's like golf.  i keep plugging along trying stuff, and occasionally get a nice long drive or chip near the cup.  but mostly am just enjoying myself.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

• for me, it's like golf.  i keep plugging along trying stuff, and occasionally get a nice long drive or chip near the cup.  but mostly am just enjoying myself.

+1

and i'll just add that for me a 10 is unreachable, since my dear wife always seems to find "room for improvement" no matter how good it is.  But I keep trying.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @stike
    Always well said =D>

XLBGE 
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    I'm a 9. I'm a huge wing connoisseur and of all the wings I've had in my lifetime, my BGE wings are tied for 1st place with the best wing joint in town. That is what's most important to me. However give me a brisket and I wouldn't know the first step. With enough practice I am confident I can master any dish.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I know I just started and I need to learn allot about cooking on the Egg but this pissed me off.  I need to find a class or learn how to use this thing.
    The comment from your mom must have been irksome, but cut yourself some slack. My ribs improved 2-300% immediately when I got my Egg. But in the years that I have been cooking them, I'd have to say I've made 9s once, and a couple of 8.5s. I have to admit that I couldn't keep a steady temp on the Egg for almost 6 months. Those fine ribs came after 2 years of practice, sometimes cooking ribs twice a week.

You'll do fine.
  • robnybbq
    OK give us your wing recipe?    or at least share a clue - I want to make wings but dont have a clue.

Garnerville, NY
  • alexwolf1216
    alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
    I rate myself as a 5-6 now. The egg has made me shine with my friends. I cooked some wings also that just rocked. Its an odd recipe involving a pan on the grill to dunk in, so I can only do small batches but they are really good.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • tazcrash
    literally a four.  with occasional (likely accidental) 8s or 9s.

for me, it's like golf.  i keep plugging along trying stuff, and occasionally get a nice long drive or chip near the cup.  but mostly am just enjoying myself.

+1    
    =D>  ,  

but I need to learn to enjoy myself more, and not get so hung up on a cook. 
    It's just food.
    It's just food.
    It's just food.
    It's just food.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    OK give us your wing recipe?    or at least share a clue - I want to make wings but dont have a clue.

-About 30 whole wings separated
    -garlic powder
    -Cajun seasoning
    -onion powder
    -1 and a half large bottles Frank's Red Hot
    -butter
    -honey
    -cracked black pepper
    -cooking oil
    -Apple wood for smoke

Season rinsed and dried wings with your favorite cajun rub and a little garlic powder and onion powder. Add some dashes of Louisiana hot sauce, I like Frank's, and a couple teaspoons cooking oil. Set aside while you start the egg up.

Fire up egg to 300-350, platesetter legs up/indirect. Add your preferred wood smoke. Toss on the wings and cook for 30-45 minutes, flip and cook another 30-45 minutes or until desired doneness careful to tend to outer wings cook faster .

Meanwhile, simmer 1 large bottle of the Frank's sauce, a generous dash of garlic powder, onion powder, cracked black pepper. Add a chunk of butter (bout a quarter to half a stick) and add about 3 tablespoon of honey, or more to taste. More honey and butter makes a milder sauce. Adjust the ratio to your own preference. Let simmer.

Now pull your wings off the egg and place in large bowl. Take your simmered sauce, poor half over the wings and toss aggressively, saving the remaining sauce. 

Now, put the sauced wings BACK on the grill and continue cooking for another 10 minutes or until the coating becomes caramelized and kind of crispy. Pull the wings and toss them in the remaining sauce. Serve with blue cheese dressing and a cold beer.

Be prepared to make them again because everyone will love them.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • stike
    edited June 2012
    and just because i string together one great drive, a beauty short iron shot, and a long putt once every few rounds, it doesn't mean i know how to golf. but it's what keeps me going back
    :))
  • robnybbq
    The comment from your mom must have been irksome, but cut yourself some slack. My ribs improved 2-300% immediately when I got my Egg. But in the years that I have been cooking them, I'd have to say I've made 9s once, and a couple of 8.5s. I have to admit that I couldn't keep a steady temp on the Egg for almost 6 months. Those fine ribs came after 2 years of practice, sometimes cooking ribs twice a week.

You'll do fine.
    One day hopefully.  I cant keep the temps steady for more than a hour or two then after 4 hours I burn up the lump - even at 275 dome.  Want to try a prime rib this weekend for fathers day but dont want to waste $50 on a piece of meat that will not turn out good.  Reservations maybe in order.

Garnerville, NY
  • stike
    edited June 2012
    here's the dirty secret about prime rib: it is possibly the easiest thing to cook on the egg.  seriosuly.

go lower temp your first time. say 250.  it will heat evenly though, and you won't risk burning or overcooking it.  if they **** because it takes so long, ask them what they think 'slow roasted' is supposed to mean. ...and tell them it's ready when it's ready. or you can microwave them a slice if they prefer

i can tell you that the only thing that really gets me down in life, seriously, is people who aren't thankful when you do something for them LIKE INVITE THEM OVER FOR A DINNER THEY COULDN'T MAKE FOR THEMSELVES, YET THEY FIND SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT

sorry. did i come unhinged there for a sec?

cook how you want to cook, and remind yourself you are often serving philistines who know no better
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Not to hijack the thread-but (as expected) stike has it right with prime rib-even if not dry aged forever:).  Plan on around 25 mins/# at the 250*F dome (indirect) and enjoy-I am treating myself to the same cook Sunday.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    don't i get points for this one time NOT mentioning dryaging?  hahaha
  • tazcrash

i can tell you that the only thing that really gets me down in life, seriously, is people who aren't thankful when you do something for them LIKE INVITE THEM OVER FOR A DINNER THEY COULDN'T MAKE FOR THEMSELVES, YET THEY FIND SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT

Or you invite them, and they watch you to make sure that their plain chicken thigh doesn't touch the jerk chicken legs (or you use the same tong), because they THINK they don't like the marinade?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • I rarely enjoy eating the food I'm cooking on the egg. I can't just taste the food for what it is. It has to be the best thing I've ever eaten every time. And since it rarely is I don't enjoy it as I should. Although I'm getting pretty damn good at pizzas. I enjoy it the least when I'm cooking for guests. I know they are skeptical for how much I spent on that thing and because I perceive my self-worth to be tied up in me pulling the steaks at the right time. Although nobody has ever pushed themselves from the table and stormed out because I overcooked the chicken. I'm starting to get a repertoire of meals with forgiving margins of err that allow me to enjoy things a little more.