Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

made some pizza on the egg

Alligator
Alligator Posts: 35
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have a large BGE, here is the setup:
platesetter legs down, a few 1" thick half-bricks as spacers, and then the pizza stone
filled up the firebox with a combo of royal oak and full circle lump
lit the charcoal using a paper towel with some olive oil on it
the egg got up to about 850 and I let it heat for about 45 minutes
When the pizza went on the dome was down to about 700

Did three pizza's in all but did not take pictures of all of them.  Turned out pretty good.

Roughly 4-5 minutes on the stone for each one.  Each pizza took a little longer as the temp went down slightly with each pizza.

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Looks good

Are the firebricks needed?
    Boom
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49

You got a really good rise on the crust. Anything special about the dough? or is the the ultra high temp?

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Looks good Are the firebricks needed?
    Alligator is using the firebricks to create an "air barrier" between the platesetter and the pizza stone to reduce the radiant heating of platesetter from overheating the stone

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Alligator
    Looks good

Are the firebricks needed?
    Little Steven is right, I am using it as a barrier between the platesetter and stone.  Most people use the green "feet" that come with the green egg as a spacer.  I bought mine as a used demo egg and they were missing, so I bought some cheap bricks to use as spacers.  This forms a barrier and also gets the pizza stone a little closer to the dome.  The top of the pizza cooks better near the dome.  

Previously I tried to cook with the placesetter legs up with the pizza stone on top of the legs. (no spacers)  The bottom was starting to burn but the top was not all the way cooked yet.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I use copper plumbing tees. If you have access to a tile saw you might want to cut the bricks down to 1" or so pieces.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Alligator

You got a really good rise on the crust. Anything special about the dough? or is the the ultra high temp?

High heat is one of the main ingredients for a good rise on the crust.  Also high hydration of the dough will help give you the good rise, as the water turning into steam suddenly creates the rise.  I think I used 6 cups of king arthur bread flower and 3.5 cups of water. (plus salt and active dry yeast)  I made this pizza before I bought a food scale so it was not precise.

I let the dough ferment in the fridge for between 48-72 hours.
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    Thanks for the dough info - similar to how I do my doughs. Also interesting on the problems you had with burning the crust on the legs up setup. I will be trying an Egg pizza soon.
  • Alligator
    I forgot to mention.. also don't use a rolling pin to completely flatten it out.  It won't rise as good if you mash it down.  I don't even touch the rims as much as I can help it.  I only stretch out the middle by hand.