Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie needs advice...

Options
dperrin
dperrin Posts: 21
edited June 2012 in Poultry
Have only used the new green egg a few times and this is the first attempt at chicken.  Here is what I have to work with:
1. Large BGE
2. Stainless rack
3. Platesetter
4. Bone in chicken breast pieces with skin
5. A dry rub that I would really like to use that has sugar in it

I have been searching on cooking chicken pieces and some say to go direct and others indirect.  I do not have anything here to raise the rack.
I am worried that if I go direct, the rub will burn.

Any advice on cooking approach and temp would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Darryl

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    You can still go direct, but I'd keep the temp to around 275* - 300* if you have a bunch of sugar in it.  You can do them bone side down and flip them if needed. 
    Build your fire on one half of the egg and no coals on the other half.  If they start browning too much, move them to the non fire side.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    If you cant raise the grid, the only other thing you can do is lower the fire. Just fill the firebox almost up. Or maye just half way. Then just cook them direct, bone down on the grid maybe 350 or so. I always cook raised grid at 400 and they turn out awesome. Don't over think it. They will be good. If you have a way of checking food temp, pull hem at 160 to 165 or so. Biggest risk you have is over cooking them. Raised grid or not. Over cook = dry. When I first started cooking direct, I used four deepwell sockets the same length. I just stood them up around my fire ring and set my grid on them.
  • dperrin
    dperrin Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks very much for the advice.  I managed to lift it up with some bolts, washers and nuts until I come up with something better.  It came out great.  BGE rocks!