Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where's the smoke?

Options
nineee
nineee Posts: 41
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I smoked a 3.5 lb brisket and while it was good and tender, it didn't have enough smoke flavor for me.  I cooked indirect 3 hrs then wrapped in foil and put it back on the grill and began checking for internal temp of 200 after an hr.  It was done in 4 hrs.  I did my smoke chips in a spiral as recommended by BGE video.  There was a lot of smoke the first hr, but none after that.  Do you think because it was on for so short a time it didn't have time to absorb smoke?  Do you folks ever add more chips while you're doing a slow low cook?  Waddaya think?  Nina in KY

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Personally i like chunks better, but when using chips I add them just before i put the meat on and spread them throughout the lump so there is always something smoking in there.
    How many chips did you use?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that spiral idea is hokum.  fire burns down, not outward. i distribute chips andchunks in the center up and down in the lump.  the fire will go down and find more chips.

whether chips or chunks doesn't really matter. unless you used two chips versus two chunks.  but the same amount of wood in chip or chunk form will be alright.

i frankly find better luck with more chips than fewer chunks, simply because the fire can sometimes burn from under a chunk and leave it high and dry
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nineee
    Options
    I used 2 cups of chips.  But I will definitely use chunks and chips the next time.  Thanks for the tips.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Always listen to stike.  Also though, 4 hours seems awfully fast for even a 3.5 lb brisket, and its not really going to be absorbing smoke after being foiled.  Also, it could have been a mild wood.   What kind of chips were you using?

Pentwater, MI
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    2 cups should be fine.  you don't need to worry about whether it's chips or chunks.  many people prefer chunks. that's cool.

i use whatever the heck i have on hand. it all works.
    and shadownick is right about foil.  no smoke flavor while it's in there.  but foiling is a go-to strategy for many with brisket.  i still can't get brisket right, so i'm not gonna say 'don't foil'

@shadownick: i'm just passing along info i have heard before. i don't have all the answers. :)>-

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I'm gonna sous vide one

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Want more smoke - put in more wood.  
    Cookin in Texas
  • nineee
    Options
    I used hickory.  That's what Dr. BBQ from the BGE said to use.  Anyway, Thanks for all the comments.  This is, afterall, a process and we learn with each new cook.