Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling Salmon

Options
gfavor
gfavor Posts: 74
edited June 2012 in Seafood
I plan to grill salmon tonight, no skin, no plank; just want to do it simple.  If I do a direct cook on my BGE (it's been a blast !!!) what temp should I use and how long on each side? We like it moist, no dry stuff.  Your thoughts ....

Comments

• cralle
    cralle Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm new here.  But, I followed Austin_Smoker's directions (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140018) and the family was really happy with the way the salmon turned out yesterday.  I bought the Copper River Sockeye on sale with the skin on.  It is full of fat, so I wouldn't try to cook it direct on the grill due to the potential flare ups.  I guess a drip pan indirect may work though and cook it at around 400 that way.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I generally hot smoke mine indirect but if I was going direct I would go with a raised grid if you have that option.  Somewhere around 350*F and I would cook to 140*F at the thickest part of the fillet.  140*F will be nice and moist-I would give it no more than 2-3 minutes /side for starters.  Hopefully someone who does more grilling of the salmon will be along.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I tend to direct cook on a raised grid.   Brush with EEVO - season with Paprika, Salt, Pepper, touch of dill weed and butter flavored pop corn salt.

Fairly hot - 400 or so, SkinLESS side down first.   After 4 or 5 minutes you will have some nice grill marks, then flip over, skin side down and cook till finished.   Usually another 5 or 7 minutes.  

If you like smoky flavor, throw a chunk or two in before the salmon goes on.   Easy, Fast -- and predictable.

Cookin in Texas
  • gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    Options
    So if I do indirect with the plate-setter, what temp and about how long?
  • boatbum
    Options

Raised grid seems to take the flare up's out of the equation long as your cooking lid down.   I use paver stones to raise my grid up to felt level.

Cookin in Texas
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Flareups?

On the egg? 

You do remember that when the dome's closed - there are no flareups? 

I just grilled salmon the other day.

Stock level grid, around 400 degrees, nothing but salt and pepper on the fish.  cooked maybe 4-5 minutes/side until fish flakes away when you put a fork to it.

One of the simplest cooks out there, but if you overcook the salmon, it can be painfully dry.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    I did salmon last night. Marinated the skinless filets in a Teriyaki sauce for about an hour. I went direct, raised grid at ~350. Threw in some Alder wood chips for nice subtle hint of smoke. Cooked to 150 degrees in the thickest part of the filet, around 7 minutes per side. Came out perfect!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • boatbum
    Options
    forgot pics on earlier post .... imageimage
    Cookin in Texas
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Direct, 350-375. Alder wood is perfect.  Use DP Raging River or your favorite salmon rub.  Brush on a little maple syrup. Don't overcook.
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Copper River (or any wild salmon) has a lot less fat than farm raised. I did some last weekend, skin on, direct at about 375 over alder chips. 6 minutes skin up and then 6 minutes skin down, per some posts on the site. I found the salmon did stick a bit on the grill on the skin up part. Maybe I should have used a raised grill. I did a brown sugar & bourbon glaze that need a bit of a savory note in it. Still the salmon turned out delicious.
  • boatbum
    Options
    I coat the non skin side with EEVO - keeps it from sticking.  If you don't want to use EEVO - then "carefully" spray your cooking grid with a cooking spray.   Carefully since it can be flammable.   best trick, grab your grill with the gril picker-upper - hold it over to the side, coat the grill then put it back on.
    Cookin in Texas
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    Options
    I coat the non skin side with EEVO - keeps it from sticking.  If you don't want to use EEVO - then "carefully" spray your cooking grid with a cooking spray.   Carefully since it can be flammable.   best trick, grab your grill with the gril picker-upper - hold it over to the side, coat the grill then put it back on.
    Tried the EVOO, wasn't 100% successful.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it will stick when it isn't ready to flip.  i have given this advice a lot, and last night cooked some striper (fresh!) and didn't listen to my own advice.  it stuck, i flippd, it tore.

i actualyl find a too-clean grid increases chances of sticking.  best thing for me is a black grid. no chunks, but not totally clean
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante