Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So, I'm Confused....

Options
ShadowNick
ShadowNick Posts: 533
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
In my local Dominick's yesterday I saw Boneless Pork Loin Back Ribs.   By definition, how do boneless baby back ribs even exist?   Has anyone ever seen/cooked these before?
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There can be a lflap of meat on spares and loins that they trim off when packaging. This is what the delicious ^#(^ McRib is made from. It's actually good meat. I bet that is what you are seeing.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    I should have taken a picture...   its a full slab and you can see where they cut the bones out.   I may buy them tonight and just toss em on @ 250 and stick a toothpick in every 2 hours or so.  3.99 a pound, but not paying for bones, so why not.
    Pentwater, MI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    That cut has been showing up at the nearest market for maybe 10 years. They just call them "boneless baby back." As far as I can tell, its from the muscle that is found on the small side to a "t-bone" pork chop.

If that is what you have, it is really easy to cook. It can be cooked hot and fast, or low for a couple of hours. My no fail method is a few hours in teriyaki, then a good coat of S&P and garlic powder, and  300, indirect, till center is 145F.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    Don't forget, meat gains alot of flavor from the bone and marrow....

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited June 2012
    Options
    thanks gdenby.  no idea what those things are in the case labelled 'ribs', when they have no bones
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We saw them at Sam's the other day.  
    stike, probably some marketing guys came up with the term to convince people they were getting a good deal by not having to pay for the bone.  I am with you,  no bones .. not ribs.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Options
    Will the horror ever end?!  First we had the boneless chicken ranches with little blobs like birds......now boneless hog farms too?!  Tragic.....
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Will the horror ever end?!  First we had the boneless chicken ranches with little blobs like birds......now boneless hog farms too?!  Tragic.....
    =))
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE