Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LOL..........pizza..........huh????

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried to make my first two pizzas tonight but hit an unexpected snag. Got the egg up to 550 degrees, go back in the house and there's my wife pulling and tugging at the dough as if it was a big rubberband. I step in to try it and I'm building up a sweat but no matter how much we stretched the dough it would rebound back. We were in tears laughing.......after a 1/2 hr we decided to have bacon and eggs for dinner!!!![p]So, how do we do this? How do we roll out, stretch out, etc. the dough so it stays where we want but also is nice and round with an even thickness. [p]Howard

Comments

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Howard,
    that's a great laugh, thanks![p]I've only ever used the regular recipies.
    Knead it LESS. You want to knead bread dough, but
    not pizza dough. As soon as you spend time kneading
    the dough, the gluten strands get tough and stringy,
    and you spent more time making it worse.[p]I can just imagine your wife, and then you, working
    this dough until it was a ball. BE THE BALL![p]Thanks again, and next time, MIX, slightly, the dough
    and get it rolled out. You're not making bread.[p]HS

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Howard,[p]The problem is that the dough has to rest for a while after you mix it -- otherwise, these fiber things make it all rubbery. I think it's called gluten, but I am not sure.[p]I usually start my dough a couple of hours before I cook. I let it rise in a plastic bag in a warm place for an hour, punch it down, let it rise again, and then roll it out. By that time, it's all relaxed and happy.[p]Hang in there!

• Prof Dan
    Options
    HolySmokes,[p]That sure sounds a lot easier than my "start two hours ahead" method! I have been doing it as if it is bread dough. I will try it your way. Thanks!
  • pointer
    pointer Posts: 41
    Options
    Howard,
    I don't have a solution.... But I am having visions of a "I Love Lucy" rerun. :c)[p]Good Luck on the next try...[p]Pointer[p]

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    oh, you're right too...[p]you can let it rest, and rise; that's dough! but his problem was alot of kneading, and more kneading, and more kneading, and more kneading, and more kneading,...[p]that's what makes it rubbery.
    :) HS

• Unknown
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]Sorry, I forgot to mentiomn that I bought the dough from a local pizzeria. So I asume all the rising and kneading are done. When you say roll it out are you using a regular roller like for pie crust? So, are you telling me that after making your own dough, which I will do if necessary, and you wait a couple of hrs that you are able to roll the dough easily? Is it cold or at room temp? Are you just rolling it out on the counter or on a cold piece of marble? As you can see I (and my wife) know nothing about this, we've always gone out to eat pizza, never made it from scratch. [p]Yeah.......even though tonight was hilarious .....I couldn't breathe from laughing so much.......but I want to learn this as I think fresh pizza on the egg must be delicious!!![p]Howard

• Unknown
    Options
    Howard,[p]You will need to use a rolling pin and some short rest periods with that type of dough. Roll it out some and when it starts springing back, let it rest for about 5-10 minutes and hit it again. Probably be fine after two rest periods. [p]Dave

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Mornin' Pointer,
    'Lucy you got some splainin to do'
    Brings back fond memories.
    Thanks for the laugh.
    bruce

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Howard,
    I'm not the expert on this, but have a few suggestions. Perhaps, Brutus can chime in here too.[p]Without seeing or feeling the dough, it is tough to tell you what happened that caused it. It could be, and probably is, a combination of several small errors in the making of the dough.[p]First, make sure you make dough from a recipe. Making dough is more like following a chemical equation; it takes consistency and accuracy to achieve that delicate balance of stretch, rise and crispness.[p]You may want to try "dough relaxer" in your recipe. This makes dough easier to work when tossing/rolling it out. For more on this, visit www.KingArthur.com or Pizzamaking.com for more specifics.[p]Don't give up. And if the same happens again, get the dough as large as you can and cook it anyway. I have yet to have a bad "workable" batch of dough still come out bad tasting in the end; Even the bad pizza is still good![p]Banker John

• Prof Dan
    Options
    Howard,[p]I do make it from scratch, just like bread dough. I mix it in the food processor with a dough hook, but you can easily do it by hand -- see recipes in the "submitted recipes" section of the forum. And I roll it out on a big cutting board, dusted with flour. The whole process takes place at room temp -- it's easy.[p]It is worth it, too -- Egg pizza is really amazing. If you have ever had wood fired pizza at a fancy pizza place, you know what I mean.[p]I don't do full-on pizza very often any more, because the cheese is too high in cholesterol. But I do "naked pizza" without anything on it, and then we spread pureed sauteed garlic and a little olive oil on it at the table, instead of butter.