Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Moisture in Egg

pirates21pirates21 Posts: 71
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I notice that when i finish with the egg, close all dampers, and cover it one for a couple of days, that when I reopen it there is a lot of moisture inside. After not using it throughout our cold canadian winter, there was mould inside. I have recently changed the gasket, but am still having the problem. Anybody have this problem or a solution? Thanks!!
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith


    Are you using a vented cover like the BGE one?
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Yep. I have had mold in mine before. I really don't think you can prevent it, other than cooking on it at least every couple weeks. The one that I had do it was my XL. Sometimes it sits for six weeks or so before I load it down for a big cook. I have also bought several eggs and they all have had mold inside. Selling them because they didn't use them. You gotta be tough man! Cook through them Canadian winters! :)>-
  • pirates21pirates21 Posts: 71
    I do use the vented cover. I am going to try to leave the lower damper open to see if it prevents some moisture. Maybe that will help????
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • I experienced the same issue with my small, I use it less than my large. A few solutions I've found:

    #1. Since lump is organic I'll try to use as little as possible then let it burn out. Then clean out the ash the next day. 
    #2. I'll open the lid the next day and let it air out. 
    #3. I'll leave the bottom damper open. 

    Opened that sucker after winter, probably 3 months since I had used it, WHOA it looked like a science experiment. Had to use a big load at like 800 to burn everything off before I could use it. 
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    Found this doing web search:

    re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg   (Posted on 5/13/11 at 5:04 p.m. to Trauma14)
    It has happened to me. I just burned it out. This is from the BGE FAQ page:

    Mold has grown in my EGG. How can I remove it safely?
    Mold is naturally in the air around us virtually all the time. When it settles in a warm, moist environment, such as the interior of the EGG, it can readily grow and spread. When this occurs you will actually see the mold. To eliminate it, just light the EGG and bring the temperature up to 450°F and allow the EGG to "cook" for about 30 minutes. Then close the vents to put out the fire; after it cools down use a wire brush to remove any leftover mold residue. Do not use any chemicals to treat the mold! The ceramics can absorb the chemicals and emit dangerous fumes when the EGG is in use thereafter.

    That should take care of it.


Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.