Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So, what size Egg should I get to supplement my Large?

Options
arizonawildcat
arizonawildcat Posts: 47
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Family of four with the two kids being fairly young (under 9).  Cook on our LBGE about 2-3 times each week and do the traditional cooks (burgers, steaks, chicken, etc) as well as some slow cooks for larger groups (pork butts, brisket, ribs, etc).

For Father's Day, I am getting another egg after hinting that I could possibly use a smaller version when just cooking for the four of us on simple cooks.  So...would you suggest getting the Small?  The mini is obviously way too tiny and I thought maybe the Medium was honestly just too close to the Large in size? 

I suppose we could take it with us in the car on a trip or two, but that would probably be a rare situation and I honestly was just thinking about something that would be easy to start up, cool down, and cook maybe 4 burgers/chicken breasts or a few steaks at a time.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I am not worthy of circulating in your world-"another BGE" but that said, given your comments above, I would go with another LBGE.  All the toys/tools are interchangeable along with the cook knowledge and if transport is not a concern, then from my view it's a "no-brainer".  But I have F'ed up "no brainers" before-lucky you!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sean4185
    sean4185 Posts: 7
    Options
    A medium egg is nice for situations where you just want to cook a few hamburgers or hot dogs which isn't going to take very long.  If I have more people coming over, then I'll use the bigger egg when it's needed.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    I think the large small combo is perfect. I've got a large, small and recently the mini, my new mini is giving the small a run for the money but prior to the mini my small saw probably 75% of the action. That being said there's just the two of us.
  • arizonawildcat
    Options
    Thanks for the input so far.  I'm really torn between a small and a medium - I am really trying to use the small when it is just the 2 adults and 2 kids eating.  Would still use the large when company is over or I am doing a low and slow.

Anyone have a medium and large and can tell me when you might alternate using them?  The more I look at the stats (cooking grid surfaces, etc) it seems as if the medium and large are pretty close to each other with the small being a distinctively unique size. 

I'd love to go with the Mini, but feel like it is just too small if you are not using it for tailgates, picnics, etc.  This second BGE would be sitting 99% of the time on my back patio with my large.

Thanks again everyone - love learning from you all.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    I have a medium only, but i can tell you from experience trying to cook more than 4 (8-12 oz patties) burgers  or about 25 wings on there it gets crowded in a hurry.
    Pentwater, MI
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    The mini is great for that quick breakfast and many other small cooks but if you really think its too small go for another large. At least you will be able to swap accessories and parts between the 2.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    I'd go with 2 larges in a heartbeat. As others have mentioned, the eggsessories are interchangeable, and grid space will never be an issue for large cooks.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Go with another large. I did this spring and consider it one of my best decisions. The toys interchange and the best part is there is no sibling rivalry.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    No brainer, another large.  See other post about accessories.
  • arizonawildcat
    Options
    I should have been more clear in my original post.  I am looking for something a little smaller and more compact than my large.  Something that i can quickly cook up 4-5 burgers or chicken breasts that is a little faster to get going and cool down.  Again, purely as a supplement to my large.  I can never see me needing the capacity of two larges going at the same time.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    How bout this? Get another large and stand well back from it. It will appear smaller.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I think you will be more happy with the small. I also have a family of four,with my kids being 7 and 4. I have a large, XL , and about two months ago bought a small. The small is perfect for most of our every night cooks as a family. Whether it is a whole chicken, pork chops, steaks, or just simple burgers and dogs, the small handles it. Also on half the charcoal your use to using in the large. I have had a medium as well, and it was my favorite egg until the small come along. They are just a great size to cook dinner on every night and at the same time the right size to pick up and set in the back of the truck for a weekend picnic somewhere. With that being said, if your looking for more capacity, you should think about an XL or another large. Other than that, the small is for you.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'd like a medium to go with my XL.  I typically cook for 4 now that one is at college most of the year. 

Visit you egg dealer and make some paper cut-outs of the food and see how it fits.  A small would be a bit tight for me as I like room to move food around to deal with hot spots and ease of flipping.  Also the outer edges of the grate that sit on the fire ring aren't as useful for cooking when doing direct, unless you have a raised grid. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I bought a large, and then the small. I loved the small and used it almost all of the time. Then I found a mini cheap and that was great too. Finally I picked up a medium from another forum member and that was it. I absolutely love my medium. My small is never used, at all. The medium temp management blows the small away, and it uses a lot less lump than the large. They seem similar, but the medium just uses less. It's perfect for my family of five (me, spouse, 11yr old son, 5yr old daughter, 3yr old son, and dog if she is lucky). I don't care if the small uses a little less lump, the medium just rocks for me. Good luck with your choice, I am sure you'll love any you get.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I am in exactly the same situation as you. 2 small children and wanted something we could take with us if we want to. I bought a small a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. I smoked a 10 pound butt on it this weekend with no issues other than the holes in the charcoal grate being way too small. Had to go out and unclog it twice over the 16 hour cook. Anyway, bought a better grate and it will solve that problem. I would highly recommend the small.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I also did a low and slow on 4 large chicken thighs for the first cook. Worked great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC