Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo ext.!! Ribs&wings

Options
MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just wrapped my ribs with sliced apples melted butter and brown sugar. Bastet wings with BBQ buffalo sauce wishishtishire sauce.

:)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

More pics to come :)
Loving my extender first cook with it.

XLBGE 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    wings are looking good.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    They were awesome! Messed up and got zero pics of my ribs but they were on point

XLBGE 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I love my new extender as well, used it for the first time today with ribs.  Do you vave to move the wings a lot to avoid them sticking on the grate?

Options
    @paqman
    Flipped them after 2 hours. Took them off at 3 hours. Basted tossed in sauce and then back on for 30 min. They were amazing.

Oh, no they didn't stick at all! Also the externder is top notch!

XLBGE 
  • capt_longhammer
    Options
    Those wings look great!!
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thanks capt! I'm have to do better next time with pics ribs were anazing

Love my egg!

XLBGE 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options

Great to see, I got my extender in last week - very high quality product and here are few virgin pics.

With that said, my mind went blank when I started to think about my first cook on it.  My struggle seems to be . . . . .  what food can fit down below (no v-rack) and what food can sit up top and not cause any problems by "dripping" on food below?  Difficult because it would have to be 100% direct or 100% indirect. 

I have a large group of 20 coming over for a backyard party at the end of June and need to pick a combo to grill.  Currently, I am thinking: 12 lb pork shoulder scheduled to come out early in the day, then switch over to raised direct (my woo ring is down there too to raise bottom grate to felt line) and do 50+ wings at once.  I wanted to do everything at once, but cant see how pork shoulder would work its way in with a combo cook using the extender.  My next question/fear is . . .  will than many wings at once cause too much fat dripping on the coal at once and alter the wings flavor?  I like raised direct better than indirect for wings - but I could be persuaded if somebody comes up with a creative way to combo.  NOTE: I am not set on pork shoulder & wings . . so any suggestions would be appreciated! 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited June 2012
    Options
    @NDG

I just let the wings drip on the ribs. Ribs went on at 1030, added extender and wings at 1. At 3 i took wings off basted them, ribs off and foiled them. Everything back on till around 4. Was amazing.

It did scare me for wings to drip when I first checked on them but said oh well next time I might wrap foil around bottom of extender grate.

Was very easy to get ribs in and out under the extender. Wish I had pics. I smoked these wings for 3 hours total had about 25 on there could have easily gotten more.

Edit: also, grate temp was roughly 225 the whole cook using a maverick probe next to the ribs

XLBGE 
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Personally, when doing layered cooks like that, i always put the pork on top.  I think letting pork drip on to chicken taste better than chicken dripping on pork.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    I really like that I hope he makes an xl soon.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Ok, foil under extender is a creative idea, let me know if you ever try it for wings!

@shadownick - I would think pork fat over chicken wings wouldnt be all bad, I just read an article on "cooks illustrated" that called for "ground-up bacon marinade" to cover there chicken before grill . . Similar flavoring I assume.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Duke_sta
    Duke_sta Posts: 26
    Options
    I really like that I hope he makes an xl soon.

• Duke_sta
    Duke_sta Posts: 26
    Options
    Where did you get your grill extender? Will it work with a PSWoo3?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Where did you get your grill extender? Will it work with a PSWoo3?
    From Ceramic Grill Store. Yes, but he sent out his last one and doesn't know if he is going to be making any more.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings