Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Anyone no how old this egg is?

ducksbuddyducksbuddy Posts: 56
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I found this egg at a yard sale $50.00, anyone no its age?

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,678
    Assuming pic will show up after a response....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    Nope, I see no pic
  • ducksbuddyducksbuddy Posts: 56
    sorry just re posted
  • burr_baby33burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Looks like a current large or maybe medium.
    i just posted to new pics the hardware in the back is a lever action? or mechanical lock,
    the size is a medium
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Know, I don't no how old it is.
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,234
    edited June 2012
    I am not sure when they started using stainless steel for the bottom vent but I believe it has been ten or more years. What ever the age that is a great score.
  • Know, I don't no how old it is.
    Dude, you beat me to it!
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    i hardly was able to sleep last night! its a really cool egg, I think i am slowly becoming obsessed with these things, my wife is re thinking my b-day present for me 2 months ago!
  • Great score. Really cool. '
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Ha CT...I'm surprised it made it to me.
  • LitLit Posts: 5,658
    Like 12-15 years old. I found a large like that on CL for $200 with a table for a friend. Does it have the original ceramic fire grate that sits in the fire box?
    it has some rust so im assuming its cast iron?
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    Good find none the less, nice.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,393
    Wow this is a steal doesn't matter how old it is! No cracks?

XLBGE 
    Know, I don't no how old it is.

Hahahaha
    Those used to come with a ceramic fire grate. I have a small from back then and it had a ceramic one but I broke it. You can replace the band but the new band will cost you like $80.
    i also found this skillet at the same sale for $5.00
    imageimage
    032.JPG 236.4K
    033.JPG 229.2K
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    that gris pan is perfect.  pretty collectible.  it's in perfect condition, so don't go 'cleaning' it.  nice score
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Wow, that was one heck of a yard sale! Great score on both Egg & Griswold!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    you have got to be kidding me! the pan is collectible!
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    My BGE is 15 yrs old and it came with the locking lever for the top lid.  I broke that moving to a new home 5 years ago and replaced it with the current bands.  
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Looks like my Egg which is 11 years old.

The Naked Whiz
    edited June 2012
    listen to the whiz.  i would say he doesn't just no how old it is, he yesses how old it is
    :)>-

by the way, that griswold pan contains a lot of mercury and other heavy metals.  i'm a metallurgist, and can get rid of it for you.  send it to me with a $50 processing fee, and I will see that it falls into no one else's hands ever again.
    :-\" $-)
  • listen to the whiz.  i would say he doesn't just no how old it is, he yesses how old it is
    :)>-

by the way, that griswold pan contains a lot of mercury and other heavy metals.  i'm a metallurgist, and can get rid of it for you.  send it to me with a $50 processing fee, and I will see that it falls into no one else's hands ever again.
    :-\" $-)

you truly are a philanthropist Stike. It's nice to see you giving back to this commiunity that has given so much to you :))

The small Griswold logo is the last era of griswolds made and isn't really that collectible. They are from the 40s and 50s and are twice as heavy as the large logo griswolds. Still much nicer than any of the cast iron you find today though.
    thanks lit.  i'll admit i don't know the fine point (actually, i dunno the rough points either).

The bottom of that pan is what caught my eye (inside surface i mean, not the underside).  looks nice and smooth like the older ones, which were ground i believe, perfectly smooth.
    Thanks Stike i will keep the help in mind...lol......you guys are AWSOME!!!!!!
    By the way i think the locking lid is really cool... a little nostalgic no way im changing till it breaks...Thanks again guys and girls! P.S im Hooked on the GREEN EGG LIFESTYLE!...CHEERS!