Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook

Options
JRayC
JRayC Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
My Father BOUGHT me an XL yesterday!

So, my wife & I had both our parents over for chicken, corn, & potatos, etc.  Loaded the BGE XL down.  Baked apples for dessert on it.

3 chix - 2 spatchcocked (sp?) & 1 whole roaster... I did have a small issue... the whole chicken took longer to cook (dugh) and the other two's legs - which I had facing the back of the unit - one's weren't fully done...

I had place setter in, 350 - 60 for an hour - then another 20 minutes...

I have never had jucier breast meat in my life!  And, I love not having to mess with the BGE once the temp is stabilized.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    get you a thermapen and you won't have those issues again.

By the way, do you need a brother?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    My Father BOUGHT me an XL yesterday!

So, my wife & I had both our parents over for chicken, corn, & potatos, etc.  Loaded the BGE XL down.  Baked apples for dessert on it.

3 chix - 2 spatchcocked (sp?) & 1 whole roaster... I did have a small issue... the whole chicken took longer to cook (dugh) and the other two's legs - which I had facing the back of the unit - one's weren't fully done...

I had place setter in, 350 - 60 for an hour - then another 20 minutes...

I have never had jucier breast meat in my life!  And, I love not having to mess with the BGE once the temp is stabilized.
    You've got a big Father's Day coming up.  You better come strong. :D
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Thats really awesome. Do you have a camera? We like pics
    ;)
  • JRayC
    Options
    @Cen-Tex - I can't see spending $100 for a thermapen.... Yeah, my Dad is good to us boys.  I had mentioned in passing convo that I was looking at these and was planning to get one next year after tax season...  

@ Dganboy - Brisket, Pork Butt, Baked Beans, Roasted Corn, Baked Taters, etc  Might make a cobbler in it!  Suggestions?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Strong is just the beginning-what a gift..."Father Knows Best" applies here. Your father must not be a rookie at the Q-per chance does he have a BGE? You are one lucky...welcome!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRayC
    Options
    @ Brownie - I forgot to take the "Fully Loaded" shot!  I was too excited & hungry.

@Lousubcap - Dad is country - smokes on any/every cooker he can - no ceramics yet.  I am fortunate.  Thanks!
  • Brownie
    Options
    JRayC said "I can't see spending $100 for a thermapen." I couldn't see it at first either but if you ever do decide to get one you won't regret it. If you do get one, don't let anyone bully you about what colors best.
    :D
  • JRayC
    Options
    @Brownie - I guess the color is.... green!
  • Brownie
    Options
    Whats Up?.............That's all I can say.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @Cen-Tex - I can't see spending $100 for a thermapen.... Yeah, my Dad is good to us boys.  I had mentioned in passing convo that I was looking at these and was planning to get one next year after tax season...  

@ Dganboy - Brisket, Pork Butt, Baked Beans, Roasted Corn, Baked Taters, etc  Might make a cobbler in it!  Suggestions?
    Just trying to break you in easy :). A Hundo is nothing around these parts. This is a crew that is very good at spending other people's money!

It's actually a great tool and most of us end up with one sooner or later. You'll discover here we are not "how long
    Does this take" or "how many minutes per side" folks around here. We cook to temp and the thermapen is the tool of choice for most of us that cook that way.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX