Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs- is this right? help

Kristinnn
Kristinnn Posts: 133
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
see pic.  just put them on on rib rack..never done ribs before.  It just seems weird with them all limp.  

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    edited June 2012
    With spare ribs they are a little limp when you put them in a rack.      Personally I would want a bit more rub.   Expect them to take around 5 hours
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Kristinnn
    Thanks guys.  We tried a different rub on each.  We will start with this and maybe ill add more seasoning next time.  :)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

You are fine-just use the bend test to check for doneness.  Pick up a rack and if it bends around 90 degrees then you are finished.  You can also use the toothpick test-insert into the rib near the bone-no resistance in or out=done.  Don't be surprised if they take around 6 hours or more with a dome of 250*F +/-.  Check out the below site for great rib info:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Seasoning is a personal taste.     My wife likes her ribs sweet so I use a ton of brown sugar in my rubs.     I then have two different sauces I finish with.     One for me and one for the rest of the family.   Not that I like my really spicy but a little more than the wife does.    Let us know how the go.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I've only done ribs once so I'm clueless but they were been ribs and I cooked them like a steak: got grill up to 750+ and 90-120 seconds each side. The dropped to 300-325 and did about 2 mins each side. Came out a med-med rare
    Boom
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Thanks guys.  We tried a different rub on each.  We will start with this and maybe ill add more seasoning next time.  :)

@Kristinnn don't be afraid to try different rubs.  I've tried many different ones over the years.  We now have three that are our favorites:  Dizzy Dust, Texasbbqrub Grand Championship and 17th Street Bar and Grill Magic Dust.  Now if I'm going to try a different one, I had an extra slab to the cook and if we don't like it, then we still have our favorite on the others.  Rubs are very personal.  I love what you hate. 
  • Kristinnn
    so i did the 3-2-1 method it stayed around 220-245.. was i supposed to do direct on the "1" part?  i forgot if so.  They look great.. my husband thinks they were awesome but i am not satisfied.  I give them a 6/10.  They didnt have enough flavor (besides my fav bbq sauce).. they fell apart okay but they didnt melt in your mouth like some ive had.  Maybe better luck next time (for me anyway)  
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    They look great. Part 1 should be indirect, and stay that way throughout the cook. At least that's how I always do it. What seasons did you try?
  • Kristinnn
    i meant the 1 hour part.  i did 3 hours indirect, 2 hours double foiled with juice indirect, then 1 hour layed flat indirect with sauce at the last 30 minutes.  

i love garlic so on 1 of them i did garlic and johnnys seasoning salt (it was too plain)
    i did magic pork seasoning- better but still blah.  i bought a sample pack on amazon and so far they suck
    then 1 was bad byrons butt rub.  the best but i still cant find THE go to seasoning for pork.

i have tried a couple dizzy pigs and they are probably the best so far but still not quite perfect for me. 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Oh my bad, After rereading I see my error. That (1 part) really depends on your taste and the sauce your using. Its meant to dry your meat back out after it steams in the foil. I let them finish indirect till they pass the bend test, remove the platesetter, reinsert the grid (now it"s direct) bump my temp up to 350 or better, sauce and let it caramelize. It's only to get the sauce sticky. If I use Blues Hog I sauce while they are still indirect because it comes out of the jar like molasses.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Dizzy Pig posted on "how much rub to use?" I believe it was in one of the newsletters available on their site.

If I'm being diligent, not only do I use 2 times as much rub as I see on your first pic, but evey surface is coated.

I learned this when I went to the best rib joint in my area early one day. Because of the huge number of racks they do, they par-boil them, which is generally considered something that is not best practice. What I saw was that they had a big rubber bin with a couple of inches of herbs and spices in it. They were dredging the slabs in that, and the slabs were completely covered. I've never quite been able to replicate the crisp spice crust they get.

As far as "melt in the mouth" goes, there is a lot of discussion on just what the texture of finished ribs should be. I aim at meat that has crispy fat sections, and  that when bitten, comes away leaving a clean, dry bone.  I try to avoid cooking so the meat is very soft, but still slightly clings to the bone. I stopped foiling ribs to avoid the very soft, but kind of mushy meat.

When garlic is heated, it loses much of its pungency. Roasted garlic, by itself, is almost sweet, and very savory, not pungent. Try mincing some garlic, and put it in some generic sauce. Simmer it, and let it sit for a day. The low temperature will spread the garlic flavor thru the sauce, but not cook away the garlicy bite. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i'm with yougdneby.  i basically pour the rub over the meat and whatever sticks, is what u use.  a lot of rub.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • i meant the 1 hour part.  i did 3 hours indirect, 2 hours double foiled with juice indirect, then 1 hour layed flat indirect with sauce at the last 30 minutes.  

i love garlic so on 1 of them i did garlic and johnnys seasoning salt (it was too plain)
    i did magic pork seasoning- better but still blah.  i bought a sample pack on amazon and so far they suck
    then 1 was bad byrons butt rub.  the best but i still cant find THE go to seasoning for pork.

i have tried a couple dizzy pigs and they are probably the best so far but still not quite perfect for me. 

Salt lick rub and sauce is maging on ribs. Order some up fromt heir website (don't get the spicy, it's not as good. Just originall Salt Lick Sauce). Me thinks you will likey

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • me also thinks me need spell check :)

I'm with Stike (scary thought) and Gdenby (more comfortable saying that). I use a lot of rub. Pour it all over and whatever sticks is what stays on them.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

@ C-T-that's why I don't use store bought rubs on ribs.  Recall the amount of rub stike and I go thru on large quantity rub real-estate. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kristinnn
    We just reheated left overs in foodsaver bags on the stove and they were surprisingly better.  

I will try that garlic in the sauce idea- sounds good :)
    I do prefer a little crust over all mush but at the same time fall apart goodness.

i will also see about the salt lick rub and i think im gonna have to order some of the texas bbq one.. ive been watching cooking shows so maybe i can make my own secret rub eventually. :)

Thanks guys!   I will surely smother my meat in rub next time..i thought i did enough but apparently not.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @Kristinnn also check out this site www.smoking-meat.com    They lots of good recipes, etc and the guy who runs the site, Jeff Phillips, sells his rub and sauce recipes.  Most places sell their product, but his is the only one I've ever seen who sells the recipe.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    i meant the 1 hour part.  i did 3 hours indirect, 2 hours double foiled with juice indirect, then 1 hour layed flat indirect with sauce at the last 30 minutes.  

Salt lick rub and sauce is maging on ribs.
    Order some up fromt heir website (don't get the spicy, it's not as good. Just originall Salt Lick Sauce). Me thinks you will likey

Where is a good place to get some salt lick sauce. Can't find it around here, in N MS, so far.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533

Salt lick rub and sauce is maging on ribs. Order some up fromt heir website (don't get the spicy, it's not as good. Just originall Salt Lick Sauce). Me thinks you will likey

My go-to for rib rub is 1/2 Emiril's Rib rub, 1/2 Dizzy Dust, 1/4 Jamaican Firewalk.  Gives a great combo of sweet and spicy, almost buttery flavor with a nice crust.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Kristinnn

My go-to for rib rub is 1/2 Emiril's Rib rub, 1/2 Dizzy Dust, 1/4 Jamaican Firewalk.  Gives a great combo of sweet and spicy, almost buttery flavor with a nice crust.

I'll look into that mix too. Sounds interesting. I use a jamaican rub mixed with other stuff on my chicken so it may appeal to me.