Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza temp and setup

Options
Eggdam
Eggdam Posts: 223
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just curious as to what temp people cook their pizza at and their setup?  I have been
doing 600 legs down on the platesetter with the stone on top.  This
setup seems to be quite hard on my gasket  This time I did 600 legs up
with a grill and stone on top as the mothership recommended to me to
save the remainder of my gasket.  However this setup seemed to have caused
the bottom to burn slightly and I even pulled it early.  Curious to
hear everyone's thoughts.

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I do the motherships suggested way for the exact same reason you posted (I used to do it legs down) and I have seen no difference in my pizza results. I bake anywhere between 450-600 deg.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Legs up,   pizza stone on grid.     I did 4 last week first one went on at 450.   Temp crawled up from there think the last one was done at 550
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • jafenske
    jafenske Posts: 11
    Options
    I have been doing legs down with the pizza stone on top. With both vents fully open I have measured, with an IR thermometer, 825F on the pizza stone. The pizza cooked in 90seconds and the dough was slightly chared on the bottom and all the topping were fully cooked. However, my gasket is toast and I bought a replacement from high-que.  
  • rambrose
    rambrose Posts: 23
    Options
    I cooked three pizzas yesterday at 500 legs down on platesetter with pizza stone siting on BGE feet all three turned out great
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Adjustable rig, grid on top, platesetter with legs ground off, four or five 1/2" or 3/4" copper tee fittings and stone on top. Usually cook at 700* to 900*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I had been doing mine at around 600, legs up, grate, stone on the grate - and was finding that the crust was getting too done while waiting for the toppings to get done. I like my cheese slightly browned. The crust was not burning, but getting very tough. So this past Fri night, I used the same setup, but put my stone on three fire bricks to raise it up into the dome. It was up quite a ways too - so far that the tip of my thermometer probe stuck into the cheese on my pizza. I found that the toppings cook much quicker this way. In fact, the sauce would start to bubble within about 30 seconds of putting the pizza on. I pulled the pizzas plenty early since I didn't know how the crust was going to turn out and found that the crust did not get done enough in the center under the toppings. Next time, I plan to leave it on longer to see if I can balance out the topping and crust doneness. If the toppings get done before the crust with this setup, I will need to find or make shorter bricks to find a mid point between the stone being right on the grate and high in the dome. What it all build down to is I am searching for that sweet spot where the crust gets done, cheese gets browned, and yet the crust does not get too done and be tough.

I think that your crust recipe has a lot to do with things. I have found a recipe we like - dough rises quite a bit as it cooks and we end up with thick crust pizza. It also will not burn (black) very easily. But overcook it and it is almost impossible to cut. You may find that your chosen crust recipe will cook completely different than mine or others. I'm thinking that cooking pizza on the Egg is like temp control - everyone needs to just experiment with their own setup and find that sweet spot on their own. Of course, reading other's posts helps a lot in finding ideas to try. I probably would have never though to try raising the stone into the dome had I not read about it on here.

Good luck - keep trying until you nail it!
  • tjtoed
    tjtoed Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Legs down, pizza stone on the 3 little green "feet" that came with the Egg to give an air buffer between the plate setter and the stone.

I shoot for ~700 dome temp.  I also wipe my stone down with a wet rag before putting on a pie, especially if you are doing multiple.

I got tired of my gasket getting fried, so I just removed it and run my Egg "naked" now with no gasket...  I have noticed nothing different cooking with no gasket... from low and slow to full temp it behaves the same... 

Only difference is I have to run my IQ temp probe down through the daisy wheel as it doesn't like being between the top/bottom.
  • ducksbuddy
    ducksbuddy Posts: 56
    edited June 2012
    Options
    i bought my replacement gasket from a wood stove supplier and it will not burn out period! no matter how hot!