Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting the fire.

Options
Canadian Egg
Canadian Egg Posts: 19
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I start my egg with a piece of paper towel and some Canola oil. Any issues?

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Have heard many others do that.    I beleive Con-Tex lights that way quite a bit
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Not if it works for you-there are many ways to get the lump burning and the one that you are comfortable with is the best one.  Welcome-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canadian Egg
    Options
    I tried the propane burner but it goes out in cold temps when I turn the bottle upside down.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Dang-must be the cold part of Canada or is that redundant :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    After scratching my head with the starter cubes the dealer gave me. I threw them out. And bought the electric starter. Work great even in our Canadian winters.
  • Canadian Egg
    Options
    After scratching my head with the starter cubes the dealer gave me. I threw them out. And bought the electric starter. Work great even in our Canadian winters.
    Where you at moose?
  • Canadian Egg
    Options
    Dang-must be the cold part of Canada or is that redundant :)>-
    The cold part.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Keep some of those cubes around for the rare Canadian hurricane, that cuts off power.  Eh?

Where are you?  My folks lived in Palgrave for several years.  My Dad was the US rep to SPAR for the Canada Arm on the Shuttle.  I've been to Ontario and vicinity many times.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    On any low and slow cook I normally use the BGE electric starter.  Shove it in the center of the coals, plug it in, wait 7 minutes, remove and the fire is going. If it's raining, I use the Weber parifin wax type cubes to start any cook.
    I use the Webers to also start my high temp cooks in multiple spots, usually two cubes at opposite sides of the fire box then stir the coals once the fire is going good for an even heat.  
    I've used paper towels soaked in oil which work great, and the rutland fire starters which I thought gave an off taste to the smoke (even when letting it burn for a while).  
  • Canadian Egg
    Options
    Keep some of those cubes around for the rare Canadian hurricane, that cuts off power.  Eh?

Where are you?  My folks lived in Palgrave for several years.  My Dad was the US rep to SPAR for the Canada Arm on the Shuttle.  I've been to Ontario and vicinity many times.

Sherwood Park, Alberta.  Never had a hurricane here but we got some pea sized hail here today. Plugs the top vents in the flywheel.
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    Can egg. I'm in Woodstock ON. Doc. You just made me think of loss of power. Haha. Back up plan is in progress. Fx. Had a storm roll in the other day as I was lighting it up. In true Canadian fashion I continued with my electric start. Propped a lawn chair over the egg to prevent the monsoon size rain from entering the egg through the dw.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    We have plenty of hurricanes where I reside, but not much snow :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Canadian Egg
    Options
    On any low and slow cook I normally use the BGE electric starter.  Shove it in the center of the coals, plug it in, wait 7 minutes, remove and the fire is going. If it's raining, I use the Weber parifin wax type cubes to start any cook.
    I use the Webers to also start my high temp cooks in multiple spots, usually two cubes at opposite sides of the fire box then stir the coals once the fire is going good for an even heat.  
    I've used paper towels soaked in oil which work great, and the rutland fire starters which I thought gave an off taste to the smoke (even when letting it burn for a while).  
    I've had a few bad experiences with bad smoke,that's why I have stopped using firestarters and went with the paper towels and canola. Seems to work good. Was just wondering if it was bad.