Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Cheeseburgers in Paradise"

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought it was time to try burgers on the egg. So with faithful lump in one hand and trusty hickory chunks in the other I assaulted 6.5 pounds of ground chuck.

ChesBurginParid.jpg

added to chuck:

3 very large sweet white onions,
2 pounds fresh button mushrooms
1.5 pounds Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1T Thyme
1T Oregano
2t sea salt
2t pepper, coarse grind
1/4C wine, White Zinfandel
3T Worcestershire Sauce
2t garlic powder
2t onion powder
canola oil

I course diced the onions and caramelized them in a little canola oil. Then cut mushrooms into fair sized chunks and did the same to them. The cheese I cubed to about 3/8" cubes. After onions and mushrooms had cooled everything got mixed in a large bowl and shaped into 4" round, 1 1/4" thick burgers. I measured them with a slightly rounded 1 cup measure to keep size uniform. Made 14 large burgers. As I shaped them I tried to cover the cheese with hamburg in hopes it would not melt and escape. It worked!
Grilled them at 475-500* for 6 minutes a side with hickory chunks for smoke.

ChesBurg.jpg

For my first burgers I am very happy, they came out medium (I would prefer med-rare but not a big deal), juicy, tender and with great flavor. Just enough char to give them a little extra flavor. Best burgers I've had in a long time.

Gator

Comments