Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different lump for different style cooks?

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,168
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I use the generic Royal Oak for any direct grid cooks but switch to Wicked Good for long duration low&slows.  Anyone else use different lump for their cooks?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I haven't, but I have thought about it. I had to reload on an 18 cook, but I think it wasn't the lump - it was my 1st long cook and I blame myself. If I can't figure out how to build a fire that will sustain with through that duration with Best of the West, I plan on trying Wicked Good for low and slow.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Those are the two I use, and the same way.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I use the same lump in the same way you do Lou.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Same lump for every cook.  I like consistency.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I haven't, but I have thought about it. I had to reload on an 18 cook, but I think it wasn't the lump - it was my 1st long cook and I blame myself. If I can't figure out how to build a fire that will sustain with through that duration with Best of the West, I plan on trying Wicked Good for low and slow.

I do best of the west for 30+ hours all the time. I'll do a big brisket or butt then grill stuff the next day with no issues
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I have tried 4 different brands of lump: BGE brand, Best of the West, Royal Oak, and Cowboy.  I haven't found any one of these to be particularly better at one thing than another.  I've used each for long cooks, and super hot cooks. They all did exactly what I needed.

I do however, use different sized pieces and different lighting strategies for different cooks.  I have two plastic containers I use for charcoal, one gets the huge pieces, one gets the rest.  I light one spot for low and slow, multiple spots for direct grilling. The big pieces go on the fire grate first for high temp cooks, they go on top of medium sized pieces for low and slows as well as mixing a lot of smaller pieces on top of that.  It works for me, but I'm sure each persons technique is different from the next.

I like to try some of the highly recommended lump, but will only do it if/when I can get it locally.

Frank
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570

I use the generic Royal Oak for any direct grid cooks but switch to Wicked Good for long duration low&slows.  Anyone else use different lump for their cooks?

when I have both available, I do it like you describe.  The RO comes up to temp a little quicker than the WG, but I like the WG better, just because it feels like hardwood.  A full load of any brand cooks a long time in the XL.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.