Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket done WAY too soon

alexwolf1216
alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I put on a 12lb last night around 9. The last one took 23 hours, but this was was internal temp at 214 when I woke up at 8AM today. Dinner isnt until 7, what the heck do I do with it until then? Probe is sliding in and out super easy, looks like it may be overdone. I cant keep it in a cooler for 10 hours can I?

Alex
San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
Wolf Studios Photography
http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Hmmm...I wonder if your fire got too hot. My 13 lb took 20 hours so 11 hours or less tells me something went wrong. I know many say every brisket is different but not 10 hours different.

I've double foiled and wrapped in towels and thrown in a cooler for 3.5, but 10 hours seems a bit much. We'll see what others say about that as I have no experience with that amount of time.

Good luck!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • alexwolf1216
    Dome temp was at 245 and Maverick said 240ish....this just seems like a crazy anomaly. Third brisket in three weeks trying to learn the egg and this was the largest and shortest cook time. Its sitting on there at 214. Its 10AM and guests will be here at 7....ha....
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • Dome temp was at 245 and Maverick said 240ish....this just seems like a crazy anomaly. Third brisket in three weeks trying to learn the egg and this was the largest and shortest cook time. Its sitting on there at 214. Its 10AM and guests will be here at 7....ha....

10 hrs is a long time to hold. I would refrigerate it and warn at the lowest oven setting in foil an hour or so before they arrive. I had one 2 weeks ago that went real fast. Strange when they do that
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alexwolf1216
    Does it taste OK reheated like that? I havent figured out how to reheat so it tastes like it was fresh.....I also want to make some burnt ends and I know I can let those smoke for a while.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • Does it taste OK reheated like that? I havent figured out how to reheat so it tastes like it was fresh.....I also want to make some burnt ends and I know I can let those smoke for a while.

It's not ideal but you don't have a choice. You can put the burnt ends back on an hour or so before they arrive. The point ( where the burnt ends come from) will be fine reheated. It's the flat you have to worry about. If its a little dry, sauce it. If its really dry, chop it up and sauce it. The flavor will still be excellent and your guests won't know the difference
  • alexwolf1216
    Thanks for the tips. Ill toss it in the over around 6. I think ill put the ends on around 4 with some juice and sauce and let them go.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    If you have a Food Saver, you could slice it up, package it, and then boil/reheat it before serving. Tastes like it just came off the egg.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • alexwolf1216
    Here is what it looked like. Cooked to internal temp of 215 and sat there. I cut off the point and am making burnt ends, tasted fantastic but a bit dry. I do have a foodsaver, and tried that trick last time but it tasted odd. I put it in simmering water for a few minutes until it was hot. I added a little coke in there but all it did was get the foodsaver nasty inside because it sucked it out.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • alexwolf1216
    I should also mention that I wasnt real happy with this one to start with. It had a lot of fat and really cooked down. I think I will get them at Costco instead of HEB from now on.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Shoulda just went and got another one, you still had time! Crazy fast for it to cook though. I cooked 2 from Walmart, they took forever and never got very tender. They looked pretty lean though, so I'm guessing they were select grade. Got a premium (and overpriced) prime grade brisket from a butcher and it cooked way faIster and was super tender. I guess the grade can affect cooking time a bit. Mine was like 3 hours less for a similar sized brisket, 10 hours is ridiculous.
  • I should also mention that I wasnt real happy with this one to start with. It had a lot of fat and really cooked down. I think I will get them at Costco instead of HEB from now on.
    Lot of fat is OK. All briskets cook way down so not out of the ordinary either. As a matter of fact, the more intramuscular fat they have.............the faster they cook. Could have been your issue. The most expensive briskets have the most intramuscular fat (marbling)  and cook the fastest so that's not a bad thing. 

• alexwolf1216
    Sorry,  I meant fat cap. It was super thick on top. I trimmed it down and may have actually overtrimmed a bit. Ah well, on to the next project, a turkey!
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Here is what it looked like. Cooked to internal temp of 215 and sat there. I cut off the point and am making burnt ends, tasted fantastic but a bit dry. I do have a foodsaver, and tried that trick last time but it tasted odd. I put it in simmering water for a few minutes until it was hot. I added a little coke in there but all it did was get the foodsaver nasty inside because it sucked it out.
    It will reheat in water whether or not you let the sealer go to full vacuum. Do a manual seal (if you can) when most of the air is out

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• alexwolf1216
    Reheated in oven for 2 hours at 200 with a little apple cider added. Wasnt real hot but tasted good. It did turn out a bit dry.

The burnt ends were awesome! I cut up the flat around 10AM and put it in the fridge. Around 3 I added some Rudy's BBQ sauce, Rudy's rub, and apple juice. Put them on the egg in a cheapo foil pan at 240-250 until 730 at which time i kicked up the temp to 400. The sauce cooked down and they were amazing.

Based on this experience I think I will start the next one around 1AM for dinner the next day. No doubt thats going to be a 23 hour one haha.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    If it happens again, you can vacuum seal it as soon as you take it off. Put a very small amount of beef broth in the bag, this will help with the moisture. Then when you need it, just put the bag in boiling water. It will taste just like it did when you put it in the bag. We do this when we cater events, it allows us to cook in advance and not have to set up at the event several hours or even the night before.
  • alexwolf1216
    If it happens again, you can vacuum seal it as soon as you take it off. Put a very small amount of beef broth in the bag, this will help with the moisture. Then when you need it, just put the bag in boiling water. It will taste just like it did when you put it in the bag. We do this when we cater events, it allows us to cook in advance and not have to set up at the event several hours or even the night before.
    Do you do the whole brisket or slice it ahead of time?
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
  • If it happens again, you can vacuum seal it as soon as you take it off. Put a very small amount of beef broth in the bag, this will help with the moisture. Then when you need it, just put the bag in boiling water. It will taste just like it did when you put it in the bag. We do this when we cater events, it allows us to cook in advance and not have to set up at the event several hours or even the night before.
    Do you do the whole brisket or slice it ahead of time?

if you are using a food saver you would slice it first.