Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef question.

Options
Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited June 2012 in Beef
I picked up a 3.76lb corned beef brisket tonight that I was planning to try thirdeyes pastrami recipe with. Is there something better I should do with it? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    Pastrami is always great. If you feel adventurous, make your own corned beef. That really sets you up for a great finished product. You are limited on what you can do with the corned beef since it is already corned IMO.
  • Brownie
    Options
    Will this plateau like a regular brisket? I read It may be about an hour+ per pound.....That seems awfully fast compared to a regular brisket cook.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Pastrami is always great. If you feel adventurous, make your own corned beef. That really sets you up for a great finished product. You are limited on what you can do with the corned beef since it is already corned IMO.
    <br/if you corn it yourself, it still becomes corned beef...what extra can you do with one you corn vs store bout corned beef if you say you're limited since its already corned? Am I missing something here?
  • Brownie
    Options
    I think Dawgs is implying that the flavor will be better if I were to corn it myself......don't think it had anything to do with cooking options.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I've corned a few myself and there is not much difference in flavor. The difference comes in texture...that's where I prefer the home cure (corn).
  • Brownie
    Options
    Good to know, I'll try that next time. Will this thing plateau? I was cooking to tender (160-180 range from what I've read) I want to eat it warm for sammies tomorrow and want an estimate for a start time. I just don't want to rush the end if I don't need to.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I have noticed a shorter stall (but still a noticeable one) when smoking them...I'm guessing the way the cure changes the meat has a lot, if not everything to do with it. The 160-180 temp range works if you're planning on shaving it thin for deli sandwiches....if you're looking for slices thicker than that you'll want to go closer to regular brisket finishing temps....closer to 190-200 range.