Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

will water damage a platesetter?

rustypotts
rustypotts Posts: 265
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to egging and I was wondering if it would hurt a plate setter to be left out in the rain and then put in the Egg without a long period of drying.   I was thinking that possibly it would absorb water and then break if if ot hot......thanks

Comments

• fish8503
    fish8503 Posts: 30
    i would not think it would hurt it but im not 100% sure
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    mine's only been outside for about five years.  i will let you know when it breaks
    :)>-

it does have a crack, but they all get one eventually i think.  still holding together
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    thanks......thats what I wanted to know....Rusty
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    It will only hurt it  if you drop it in the pool or lake and leave it. 
    A wet plate setter that is placed on a fresh fire before temps are reached will dry out as the temps come up and should not hurt the plate setter. 
    Only when you place the wet plate setter on a hot egg   will the thermal shock possible crack the setter.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i wouldn't worry about a wet platesetter going into an egg.  do it all the time.

mor ethermal shock would be from a hot platesettr getting wet
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I've pressure washed mine a few times.  No problems.  It's also been left in the rain several times.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    My pizza stones are kept outside in the rain/ice/snow and have gone right into the egg after brushing snow off of them and seem to be holding up fine.
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I think it would be worse the other way around. Dropping cold water on the platesetter while it is in the egg seems like it could be a problem.
  • mine's only been outside for about five years.  i will let you know when it breaks
    :)>-

it does have a crack, but they all get one eventually i think.  still holding together

8 years outside. No cracks. Water will not hurt it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Water won't hurt but ice will. I had one that was covered in ice and it slipped out of my hand and hit the concrete deck :(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• meade
    meade Posts: 1
    I can tell you one thing NOT to do.  Do NOT set a hot platesetter on a glass table. First time I ever saw a 3/4" glass table explode.  OK, it was not smart. I admit it. Platesetter was OK, but scratch one glass top table.
  • Mine is outside but under a patio roof. It is 7 years old and I noticed it has developed a small crack in the fire bowl. I don't believe being outside has anything to do with it. If the bowl doesn't break in half I'm not going to worry about it. It still cooks fine. From what I have observed reading this forum small cracks are common. If I ever get a crack penetrating to the outside of the egg then I will use the lifetime warranty.
    San Angelo, texas