Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide technical discussion

Comments

• killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    I have home an all electric beer brewing setup I have built.  It uses water heater elements and a PID controller to maintain very precise temperature control.  I could see adapting or even using this system for this purpose.  You would just need a basket or something to keep the vacuumed bags off the heater elements.  I even have a pump in the system and could keep the water moving.

Sounds like a weekend project...
    I do some homebrew (fairly new to it) and want to see if I can use the Temp controller to also control temp for making ales.
    Sounds like your kit might just do the trick as long as you have the food saver.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    C-T... do they recommend some sort of stirring/circulation in the water for cooks like the 72 hour stuff?

I think it is based more on foods you are cooking and how specific you want repeatable results.Some foods have a wider zone where you won't notice as much as eggs. Also, along with collagen breakdown enzymes help break down meat better at specific temp ranges. Most guys I know that sous vide a lot have a polyscience unit for some things, and also have a sous vide demi/supreme or crock pot PID set up. Polyscience is more accurate.
  • I have home an all electric beer brewing setup I have built.  It uses water heater elements and a PID controller to maintain very precise temperature control.  I could see adapting or even using this system for this purpose.  You would just need a basket or something to keep the vacuumed bags off the heater elements.  I even have a pump in the system and could keep the water moving.

Sounds like a weekend project...
    Easy- go to a kitchen store and find a rack that works to keep food off the heating element and keeps it from touching other food. You have a perfect water bath for cooking SV

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • C-T:
    thanks man. musta confused them with lab equipment or something.
    buddy of mine has an SV. we had some terrific rhubarb desert.  melted in the mouth. closest i've gotten is bagged-beef-baths

The expensive lab circulators do pump water (and you can use a much larger bath. I think with the the smaller bath size of the SVS, the grate with holes works just fine. I have not noticed any issues and I have gone 4 days with the short rib cook

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i've been inspired, but am hesitant to pull the trigger on an SV just yet.  as a first foray, lately i have been keeping my tuna melt sandwich in a ziploc baggie under my armpit for a few hours.  at lunch time, it's PURR-FECKT
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • i know for a fact that you cut the bottoms out so that you can make it look like you are "just winding your pocket watch".

also, "sous vide" mean "under vacuum". just tossing that out there to keep this on topic

Thank you for keeping this on the straight and narrow

• Newportlocal
    If you aren't pulling a good vacuum or have out gassing like a lot of vegetables you can add marbles to the bag or use twist tie the bags to tongs spoons etc to weigh them down and keep them submerged. Egullet has some great threads on sous vide, sealers,and chamber vacuum sealers.
    How did you guys know why I had holes in my pockets in grade school? Just trying to keep on topic :D
  • Newportlocal
    i've been inspired, but am hesitant to pull the trigger on an SV just yet.  as a first foray, lately i have been keeping my tuna melt sandwich in a ziploc baggie under my armpit for a few hours.  at lunch time, it's PURR-FECKT

You just beat out the beer cooler guy for cheapest method. I will spread the gospel. As a health note I hope you recommend this without mayonnaise
  • i've been inspired, but am hesitant to pull the trigger on an SV just yet.  as a first foray, lately i have been keeping my tuna melt sandwich in a ziploc baggie under my armpit for a few hours.  at lunch time, it's PURR-FECKT

You just beat out the beer cooler guy for cheapest method. I will spread the gospel. As a health note I hope you recommend this without mayonnaise
    Welp,   just puked in my mouth a little. thanks for that  b-(
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Welp,   just puked in my mouth a little. thanks for that  b-(
    +1
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    @newportlocal:
    it starts out as mayo, but becomes a kind of cheese.
    hahaha

thanks for the info by the way.  i'm gonna see wher ethis SV stuff goes here.  hopefully with the numbre of folks bying them, there'll be a lot of threads about it. enough to push me over the edge into trying it myself.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    This looks like an interesting compromise:

It uses your crockpot or rice cooker plugged into this device to keep the water temp steady.  I might be interested in this.  Not sure I'm ready to drop 330+, but 150 might be ok.  

Do you have to do something to keep the meat down in the water, and not floating?

• This looks like an interesting compromise:

It uses your crockpot or rice cooker plugged into this device to keep the water temp steady.  I might be interested in this.  Not sure I'm ready to drop 330+, but 150 might be ok.  

Do you have to do something to keep the meat down in the water, and not floating?

When vacuumed tight, they don't float much. The svs comes with a grate that sits on top of the meat to keep it down. I'm sure you can find something around the house or a kitchen store that will work. With things like burgers, you don't vac out all the air (so it does not squish it down) so they can float up if not weighted down.
  • Newportlocal
    This looks like an interesting compromise:

Yes it is very similar to the sous vide magic that is very popular and I would strongly consider as well.
    http://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=100086
    In regards to floating look at &9:37 post, just use or just use your imagination. I have seen little weights with alligator clips clipped to bottom of bag too.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Been following the SV threads and seems like something pretty cool to do. I am running out of room for kitchen gadgets and had me thinking... why can't you use a slow cooker/crock pot to sous vide? I did a google search and found a system where you can use a crock pot by buying a $35 temperature control unit. I am willing to give it a try. Ordered the conrol unit and Food saver on the way from ebay.... Been wanting the foodsaver for a while anyway, freezer burn is claiming too much good stuff..

Here is the link I found:

Anybody considered this or see a reason why it would not work?
    I was wondering the same thing in reverse. Is there a crockpot attachment/option/function/fudgeable thing on the sous vide machine?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Been following the SV threads and seems like something pretty cool to do. I am running out of room for kitchen gadgets and had me thinking... why can't you use a slow cooker/crock pot to sous vide? I did a google search and found a system where you can use a crock pot by buying a $35 temperature control unit. I am willing to give it a try. Ordered the conrol unit and Food saver on the way from ebay.... Been wanting the foodsaver for a while anyway, freezer burn is claiming too much good stuff..

I was wondering the same thing in reverse. Is there a crockpot attachment/option/function/fudgeable thing on the sous vide machine?
    LS- Interesting thought but I have not seen one. 
  • Little Steven

CT,

Looking at ordering a machine but the only deal I can find right now is the package with the vac sealer. Canuck prices are ridiculously high on stuff like that. I have a couple of chef's supply places that I frequent and want to see if I can get a commercial unit for less than double the price. I've seen some relatively small ones on cooking video sites and they seem to be just the temp control, heater and circulator in a compact unit. They use a Maitre D'hotel pan from the look of them

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Newportlocal

CT,

Looking at ordering a machine but the only deal I can find right now is the package with the vac sealer. Canuck prices are ridiculously high on stuff like that. I have a couple of chef's supply places that I frequent and want to see if I can get a commercial unit for less than double the price. I've seen some relatively small ones on cooking video sites and they seem to be just the temp control, heater and circulator in a compact unit. They use a Maitre D'hotel pan from the look of them

Yes. That's a polyscience professional.
    http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide.php

• CT,

Unless the hotel pans in CA are different that US, they are probably a little shallow. my SVS is probably10-12" deep and that is important. 

There are many lab circulators and heaters out there so check scientific sites. Look at this video and you'll see a pretty common setup. This dude is the guru of SV at home so check his stuff out for tips

• Newportlocal
    Been following the SV threads and seems like something pretty cool to do. I am running out of room for kitchen gadgets and had me thinking... why can't you use a slow cooker/crock pot to sous vide? I did a google search and found a system where you can use a crock pot by buying a $35 temperature control unit. I am willing to give it a try. Ordered the conrol unit and Food saver on the way from ebay.... Been wanting the foodsaver for a while anyway, freezer burn is claiming too much good stuff..

Wikipedia
    Many slow cookers have two or more heat settings (e.g., low, medium, high, and sometimes a "keep warm" setting); some have continuously variable temperature. A typical slow cooker is designed to heat food to 77 °C (170 °F) on low, to perhaps 88-93 °C (190-200 °F) on high. Many recipes that include sauce or liquid will reach the boiling point around the edges, while food in the center remains gently cooked. This may be because slow cooker settings are based on wattage, not temperature.[4]
    [edit]Operation

I have seen sous vide units up to about 212 F

Crockpots don't have the low settings necessary technically I guess you could crockpot in a sous vide. I think Keller at the French laundry sometimes adds butter etc in the bath with the circulator for lobster that isn't bagged.

FYI trying to wrap my mind about the opposite way gave me a headache
    :D
  • Little Steven

CT,

Actually this was the one I had seen. I like the one you show better and it's cheaper. Thanks

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-thermal-circulator.php

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Newportlocal

CT,

Actually this was the one I had seen. I like the one you show better and it's cheaper. Thanks

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-thermal-circulator.php

Polyscience originally made lab equipment only. Chefs had been using them. The one I sent a link to was the first one purpose built by polyscience for food. It is a great unit. I am going to buy that one and its very accurate.Also, prior to the purpose built one you had to buy the cage separately to cover the heating element.
  • Newportlocal

CT,

Unless the hotel pans in CA are different that US, they are probably a little shallow. my SVS is probably10-12" deep and that is important. 

There are many lab circulators and heaters out there so check scientific sites. Look at this video and you'll see a pretty common setup. This dude is the guru of SV at home so check his stuff out for tips

Yes Cambro is what most people use.
  • Little Steven

CT

I was thinking of the larger pan that holds the water to keep the hotel pan warm in foodservice. Didn't think anyone would call me on it but I'll keep my pencil sharper in future!

:((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Newportlocal

CT,

I am familiar with Douglas Baldwin him and many others have videos using the older style before the purpose built one from polyscience came out. Same company. The professional is just their new model. Douglas Baldwin has a lot of good posts,advice,etc.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852

CT

I was thinking of the larger pan that holds the water to keep the hotel pan warm in foodservice. Didn't think anyone would call me on it but I'll keep my pencil sharper in future!

:((
    Are we talking about the same forum?

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Little Steven
    That was a weak attempt at humour BTW, my post I mean, I mean the one about the shallow pan...not the one about Justin Bieber...no wait I didn't say anything about JB...I mean not the one about anybody having a thing for tiny Canadians. Whew, hard to be politically correct round here lately. This was another weak attempt at humour also

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Newportlocal
    :D I told my Canadian knife maker buddy Pierre Rodrigue to watch out for bear droppings with bells that smelled like pepper while he is at the bush camp. Want my customs done before he gets eaten.
  • Little Steven
    :D I told my Canadian knife maker buddy Pierre Rodrigue to watch out for bear droppings with bells that smelled like pepper while he is at the bush camp. Want my customs done before he gets eaten.

For anybody that didn't get it

Actual warning sign at a trail head

Steve 

Caledon, ON