Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide technical discussion

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Reverse the basic sequence. What about searing or Egging or smoking or grilling or browning, etc. to add flavor first until you reach say 130F or so IT at say a half inch deep and then finish off in the SV to a uniform IT of 142F ?

I have not done either but I love low and slow. BBQ so much that I can't see ever giving it up. A brisket would be like a 72 hour cook and SV too and I'm not normally that patient.
Sous vide steak 101 here
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Great article Newport! Anyone who wants to know the essence of SV steak, give this a read. Informative but in simple terms.

thanks!
Cent-Tex looking for your real world experience do you like ribs and brisket better with sous vide and a finish maillard sear on the egg. Just wondering then I would just finish it up on my mini. I think your drunken brisket was old style low and slow on the egg. Just wondering your perspective on preference with different standard proteins. Thanks in advance.

I am moving the sous vide tech discussion the here from VI's Sous Vide cooking thread. It got hijacked and we will leave r
That thread as the SV cooking discussion and this one fornthentechie stuff.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    That takes all the fun out of it. I'm going back to spam Gary's thread :)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • That takes all the fun out of it. I'm going back to spam Gary's thread :)
    <br

Stirring the pot.........:)

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    That takes all the fun out of it. I'm going back to spam Gary's thread :)

:))
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Does anyone else hear crickets in here?

;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Does anyone else hear crickets in here?

;)
    I do, but I have Tinnitus.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i hear justin bieber
    :x
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You really have a thing for tiny Canadians dont you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    to be honest, i lost interest when he hit 18.  you, then, are way out of the running, at 70+.  that is, unless you are offering to be a sugar daddy.

• to be honest, i lost interest when he hit 18.  you, then, are way out of the running, at 70+.  that is, unless you are offering to be a sugar daddy.

=))

Good lord. Here I expect to wake up and read about vacuum in bag vs. a canister and I am greeted with this. Thank god.
  • stike
    steven has deep pockets. i'm not ashamed what i'd do for his Klondike bar.
    there's a recession on.

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    there's a recession on.

=)) Oh god I love this forum!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Newportlocal
    there's a recession on.

=)) Oh god I love this forum!

+1
  • Newportlocal
    Lol on the topic sous vide supreme is 10 liter for $400, sous vide demi is 8.7 liter for $300. If you look at it that way 1.3 liters difference isn't much for the extra $100. Thought someone might find that interesting.
  • Lol on the topic sous vide supreme is 10 liter for $400, sous vide demi is 8.7 liter for $300. If you look at it that way 1.3 liters difference isn't much for the extra $100. Thought someone might find that interesting.
    Smart people being funny makes CenTex happy

• Little Steven
    there's a recession on.

Rod knows how deep my pockets are. Don't think you'ld hit bottom if ya know what I mean

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    i know for a fact that you cut the bottoms out so that you can make it look like you are "just winding your pocket watch".

also, "sous vide" mean "under vacuum". just tossing that out there to keep this on topic

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    =)) =)) =))
    This is the best on topic topic yet.  To further keep on target I think I will show my foodie relative this thread, cause he will go and buy one.  If past is the future he will get bored with the SV within a week and then I can take it off his hands. I will have to cook something for him, but that is ok. 
    [-O<
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven

Joan,

I was thinking that very same thing. E-bay will be loaded with them in a few months

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Joan,

I was thinking that very same thing. E-bay will be loaded with them in a few months

You may be right, but not mine.

• killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Been following the SV threads and seems like something pretty cool to do. I am running out of room for kitchen gadgets and had me thinking... why can't you use a slow cooker/crock pot to sous vide? I did a google search and found a system where you can use a crock pot by buying a $35 temperature control unit. I am willing to give it a try. Ordered the conrol unit and Food saver on the way from ebay.... Been wanting the foodsaver for a while anyway, freezer burn is claiming too much good stuff..

Here is the link I found:

Anybody considered this or see a reason why it would not work?
  • stike
    for long periods, i think there needs to be some sort of stirring, to prohibit cooler spots.  but hacking a home made version is the american way, baby.

• for long periods, i think there needs to be some sort of stirring, to prohibit cooler spots.  but hacking a home made version is the american way, baby.

The Sous Vide Supreme does not circulate so if you can get constant temps with a crock pot controller, go for it.

• killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Will have to report back once I get the kit and give it a try...
  • Newportlocal
    Here's a few
    homemade PID controller $75
    http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/d...-for-about-75/
    Sous vide magic is about $150 then you don't have to build it yourself.
    There is also the ice chest thermometer option. Just search Beer cooler sous vide.
    Sous vide Demi is nice a lot of people like them $300
    Sous vide supreme $400
    Polyscience professional sous vide $800
    There is a new aqua chef similar to sous vide Demi and sous vide supreme however it has to drop 2.5
    Anyway there is a range for you here
    Hope this helps.

Sous-Vide Defined:

In contrast, the simplest way to define sous-vide may be to refer to its French meaning, “under vacuum.” Anything associated with a vacuum machine is sous-vide. In restaurants, the sous-vide process usually (but not always) consists of:

placing products into impervious plastic bags
    putting those bags under vacuum
    heat sealing those bags
    releasing the vacuum
    further manipulating, processing, or storing
    This is where it gets confusing: sous-vide techniques are often used for low temperature cooking, but not all sous-vide cooking is low-temperature cooking. The classic example of this is boil-in-bag meals. The cooking medium is boiling water—not low temperature. Yet, because there is a vacuum process involved, it is sous-vide. That said, sous-vide is very effective for low-temp cooking because food inside the bags neither dries out nor loses flavor during prolonged cooking if proper temperature is maintained. The vacuum bags also eliminate evaporation and evaporative cooling. The temperature of the food’s surface becomes identical to the cooking temperature after a short time.

Chefs and diners alike often confuse sous-vide and low-temperature cooking. Sous-vide must involve a vacuum process; but the food may be cooked at high or low temperatures. About 90% of what cooks want to achieve with low temperature cooking can be achieved without a vacuum.

Good article
    http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02/12/sous-vide-and-low-temp-primer-part-i/

• stike
    C-T... do they recommend some sort of stirring/circulation in the water for cooks like the 72 hour stuff?
  • Newportlocal
    Interesting review of sous vide supreme looks like a 2.4 degree variance just something to be aware of.

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/04/review-the-sous-vide-supreme/
  • C-T... do they recommend some sort of stirring/circulation in the water for cooks like the 72 hour stuff?
    No. they have some type of grate with holes in it on the bottom inside of the bath. I guess the heating element is on the bottom and when the heat comes up through the holes it disturbs it enough to disperse it "evenly". You cannot tell there is any circulation at all when you look at it. the water is perfectly still

• liquidicem
    liquidicem Posts: 52
    I have home an all electric beer brewing setup I have built.  It uses water heater elements and a PID controller to maintain very precise temperature control.  I could see adapting or even using this system for this purpose.  You would just need a basket or something to keep the vacuumed bags off the heater elements.  I even have a pump in the system and could keep the water moving.

Sounds like a weekend project...
  • stike
    C-T:
    thanks man. musta confused them with lab equipment or something.
    buddy of mine has an SV. we had some terrific rhubarb desert.  melted in the mouth. closest i've gotten is bagged-beef-baths

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I'm guessing (that preface means I'm talking through by butt) the "hot air rises" principal should work here.Especially in such a small environment.
    Heck, if you want, you can always add an aquarium bubbler. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!