Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fall of the bone back ribs

Options
Eller
Eller Posts: 56
edited June 2012 in Pork
What can I do to get the rib meat to be tender and come off the bones easily.

Comments

• Eller
    Options
    any use of foil or just 6 to7 hourd indirect?
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options
    Let it cook for 6-7 hours at 250.

You go that long?
  • Eller
    Options
    Maybe I should try 3 2 1
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Maybe I should try 3 2 1
    3 2 1 is the way I go, great ribs every time!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The longer you wrap them the more tender they will be. I do 3-1-1 for baby backs and wouldn't wrap them any longer cause I don't like for all the meat to fall off on the first bite. My parents like them more tender so they do a 3-1.15-.45.
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Options
    Ribs should not fall off the bone. When you bite a rib it should be tender but still hold to the bone. You should leave your bite mark  after to a bite. That is a good rib not fall off the bone.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Why not chad...isn't it a matter of personal preference?
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I like Dr BBQ's method. Short, sweet, and tender.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Quinn, Amen.  Ribs should be the way you like them.  It's one thing perhaps to try to make KCBS judges happy, it is quite another to be trying to make yourself and your guests happy.
    The Naked Whiz
  • chad408
    Options
    For one they are easier to eat and they are not just slop on a stick.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Quinn, Amen.  Ribs should be the way you like them.  It's one thing perhaps to try to make KCBS judges happy, it is quite another to be trying to make yourself and your guests happy.

+1

I'm in the fall off the bone boat!!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    with tongs, grab them about half way down the rack and pick 'em up.  they fell like they are going to break off, their done.  If you can do a smack down with 'em and they would not break, not quite ready.......lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options

that's your opinion.....lots of people prefer them differently.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    edited June 2012
    Options

I like  my ribs with some crust on the outside.  Doesn't the foil basically steam them and make the exterior soft and mushy?

I usually go about 5hrs at 250, no foil, and no misting with apple juice.  Maybe some juice in the drip pan to start.

• chad408
    Options

that's your opinion.....lots of people prefer them differently.
    Yes it is my opinion you must like slop on a stick. Anyone can make that.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    Its my opinion that chad sounds like and A$$hole.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    Options
    What kind of slop are we talking about? 
    I'm partial to pork slop, but feel "meh" about beef slop. 

Also, for me slop isn't right until it's in a cheap roll. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    An **** and a troll...that's well received on this forum...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    Eller

when you do the foil stage, its meat side down so the meat braises in the liquid and you want to warm the liquid up before adding to the foil, it helps for consistency from cook to cook. approaching the one hour mark make sure theres still liquid in the foil and check to see if they are starting to fall apart, then check every 15 to 20 minutes adding liquid as needed. you want them just starting to fall off , go too far and they will not hold together for the third part of the cook which is really to firm them back up again. they will also fall apart if you just cook them longer but the foil cook guarantees it will fall apart without drying the end ribs out abit
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Overcook them and they will fall off the bone everytime.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • chad408
    Options
    Overcook them and they will fall off the bone everytime.
    Thats what I think too. But I am an **** for my opinion.
  • chad408
    Options
    An **** and a troll...that's well received on this forum...
    Not sure how my opinion is being an ****. All i said is fall off the bone ribs are like slop on a stick. You seemed to be the ****. For jumping on me for an opinion.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    trust me, no matter what you like (or don't), there's someone who doesn't like it (or does).  pretty much means there will always be someone who thinks you are an "a-hole".

in my case, they think it for many reasons
    :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • chad408
    Options
    trust me, no matter what you like (or don't), there's someone who doesn't like it (or does).  pretty much means there will always be someone who thinks you are an "a-hole".

in my case, they think it for many reasons
    Maybe we can team up and make team ****.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    OK, back on topic......
    do you know that Sous-Vide means under pressure, not under water?  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I could care less how anyone likes their ribs...I actually don't like mine falling off the bone, but people do, and the OP was asking about it. When you belittle the question with a condescending remark like its "slop, and anyone can make it" it makes you seem like an ****. I wasn't the first to note that...see mikep624's quote

• chad408
    Options
    I could care less how anyone likes their ribs...I actually don't like mine falling off the bone, but people do, and the OP was asking about it. When you belittle the question with a condescending remark like its "slop, and anyone can make it" it makes you seem like an ****. I wasn't the first to note that...see mikep624's quote

Shut up it was not your question. What are you the responds police?
    :-@
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    Ribs should not fall off the bone. When you bite a rib it should be tender but still hold to the bone. You should leave your bite mark  after to a bite. That is a good rib not fall off the bone.
    sounsd like  you are one of dem judges on dat tv show about babaquing.
  • chad408
    Options
    sounsd like  you are one of dem judges on dat tv show about babaquing.
    Just giving an opinion
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    For me the only bad rib is a dried out rib.  The competition circuits promote bite through and I can understand why: It's a benchmark of consistency.  If you ask most folks in the general population how they like their ribs, they'll say fall off the bone.  Heck I was at Texas Roadhouse (steak chain) last night and most of the staff wore 'fall of the bone" T-shirts.

Pork is a funny meat, most of us old school cooks have been taught to cook it till well done to prevent trichinosis disease. Now it's just get past 145 internal temp - medium in most cases.   

Unlike steak with it's range of doneness (rare to well done), pork's basic range is not safe to eat or safe to eat.  Don't think I've ever been asked....and how would you like that pork cooked...including last night with the pork chops.

Man, I gotta get me some chops to egg....last night's chops OK, but not like eggin'

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.