Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beginner's question

Options
MDHog
MDHog Posts: 43
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
New BGE owner (after a long time cooking on gas), did my first trial tonight (simple, burgers). 

Burgers turned out great but too smokey for spouse and kids. This was just with lump, no chips/chunks. 

I think I probably didn't let the initial white smoke from the lump "burn off" enough before starting. 

Should you wait for the white smoke to die down before putting food on?

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I'd be interested in this answer as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    What others do is what they do. I wait for the white smoke to clear. If the smoke smells good to you it will smell good on the food is my rule.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Could you cook the burgers with the dome open?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I had the same problem and let the smoke turn clear before cooking my food.

I have never cooked with dome open, but it is possible sure.
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    Options
    I cook with the dome down and I wait until no smoke is visible.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    New BGE owner (after a long time cooking on gas), did my first trial tonight (simple, burgers). 

Burgers turned out great but too smokey for spouse and kids. This was just with lump, no chips/chunks. 

I think I probably didn't let the initial white smoke from the lump "burn off" enough before starting. 

Should you wait for the white smoke to die down before putting food on?

yes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    not recommended. If you let the smoke clear, you will be fine. the entire premise of cooking on an egg is to use the dome for convection. If you cook with the dome open, you just wasted $1000+

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    I agree with the Texan. Let the smoke run clear. I try to leave the small vents on the daisy wheel completely open and control temp with the bottom vent. Seems like this can cut down on the amount of smoke by allowing for more complete combustion. If you choke the fire it does not burn well and makes some pretty acrid smoke.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I agree with the Texan. Let the smoke run clear. I try to leave the small vents on the daisy wheel completely open and control temp with the bottom vent. Seems like this can cut down on the amount of smoke by allowing for more complete combustion. If you choke the fire it does not burn well and makes some pretty acrid smoke.
    I let mine go for 15-20 with the dome open. Then choke down to temp. No acrid smoke taste at all, very smooth. Just beware of flashback when choking a hot fire.........unless you don't like eyebrows :))

If you don't know what flashback is, ask now and save yourself a scare

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    CT: when you have meat on, so you still have the fire choked, or do you open the vents up? I was meaning to say that when the meat is on, I prefer to have my daisy wheel vents open and close the bottom down to keep temp under control. I don't try to control the temp with the daisy wheel.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CT: when you have meat on, so you still have the fire choked, or do you open the vents up? I was meaning to say that when the meat is on, I prefer to have my daisy wheel vents open and close the bottom down to keep temp under control. I don't try to control the temp with the daisy wheel.

When I say choked, I mean get down to the temp you want to cook. I do control with the daisy. I've heard it's easier not to but I've done from the beginning so that's what I do. I know guys like Mickey say to just take the daisy off and control with the draft door but I control everything with the daisy.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Since reading a while back to go without the daisy wheel for everything but low and slows, I have used this method ever since and love it. I believe it has cut down on unwanted smoke flavor also.

George
    George
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

I'm pretty new at eggin but I sort of agree with Cen Tex about the daisy - The egg is very similar to an oven and i wouldn't cook anything in the oven with the door 1/4 open  I guess you may be right on too smokey.. but I enjoy the flavors that way

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    I cook with the daisy off unless I need temp really low. Don't think there is a right or wrong way just different approaches but would be interesting to see if temp is really the same through different heights in the dome with temp probes with daisy off vs on with equal temperature at the grill height.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Since reading a while back to go without the daisy wheel for everything but low and slows, I have used this method ever since and love it. I believe it has cut down on unwanted smoke flavor also.

George
    I am with George - if I am not doing a low and slow generally I cook with no daisey wheel.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll try it this weekend. Interesting....but I love smoke so we'll see

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    not recommended. If you let the smoke clear, you will be fine. the entire premise of cooking on an egg is to use the dome for convection. If you cook with the dome open, you just wasted $1000+

Very well said =D>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.