Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - Help needed tonight, please!

Options
Max
Max Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I've been reading these posts for a couple of weeks now (about how long I've had my large egg) and decided I would finally try an overnight cook. I just purchased a 7.5 lb bone in boston butt, rubbed it down and wrapped it up tight, but I have a few questions. My setup is going to be the butt on a v rack over a drip pan. That's it. My questions are (considering my setup, please):[p]-Since I'm not using fire bricks or plate setter or anything like that, should I expect faster than 2 hours / lb? I'm going to try and maintain temp at 225.
-Does anyone recommend putting liquid in the drip pan? Does this lengthen the cook or add anything to it?[p]I plan to put the butt on at about midnight tonight, put the remote temp gauge in, and let it go until it hits 195. Does this sound right? Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide, I just started getting nervous about the whole thing. Thanks![p]

Comments

• a.smack
    a.smack Posts: 20
    Options
    max,[p]I put my butt on early this morning (9.5 hour ago) and the temp just hit 170. I don't plan to take it off before the 195 mark. This is my first attempt and so far everything is going pretty easy. The fire has been stable. Check out the post I listed a few hours ago and you can see what the butt looked like half way through cooking. That is the only time I have opened the lid so far. Can't wait to see what will be like in a few more hours.[p]a.smack.
  • Max
    Options
    a.smack.,[p]how many lbs? looks mighty good in that picture.
  • a.smack
    a.smack Posts: 20
    Options
    max,[p]This one is approx 7.5 lbs. Confidence level is higher than it was at 4 this morning. I probably will snap a shot or two and upload when it is ready.[p]a.smack
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    max,[p]At 225 your guess of 2 hours a pound is pretty good. You can expect about 14 hours on that, actually 250-275 is not a bad dome temp for butts and will decrease the cook times a bit. I say that in case you want to do it or just in case you get a temp spike during the night. Dont be afraid of temps like that. 300, damper it down a hair, but 250-275, you are on the money. Your setup is fine. You shouldnt notice any difference in times or anything based on the way you are cooking. I personally dont put liquids in the drip pans but some do. With the drip pan in your case directly above the fire I would think it would evaporate quickly anyway. Good luck with the cook, hope all goes well.[p]Troy
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    max,
    I would use some tin foil or something to get more of an indirect cook. Anything would help. Another grate and a drip pan? An air space and some tin foil to deflect the heat. Simple. Platesetters are the best. Spend the money and buy from BGE. They are really a quality piece of equipment. I use a plate setter and a broken pizza stone, both of them wrapped in tin foil, and then I add a drip pan with liquid to that. 225° dome temp, 195°- 200° internal. [p]I think the end product would be better if it wasn't exposed to the radiant heat of the coals. If cooking direct, it speeds the cooking process, and your objective is to slow the process.[p]Mike in MN

• Max
    Options
    max,
    thanks for all your advice! I do intend to get the platesetter, I just didn't have time to run out there this weekend. Sounds like an invaluable tool.