Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Sous vide technical discussion

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 10,886
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Reverse the basic sequence. What about searing or Egging or smoking or grilling or browning, etc. to add flavor first until you reach say 130F or so IT at say a half inch deep and then finish off in the SV to a uniform IT of 142F ?

I have not done either but I love low and slow. BBQ so much that I can't see ever giving it up. A brisket would be like a 72 hour cook and SV too and I'm not normally that patient.
Sous vide steak 101 here
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Great article Newport! Anyone who wants to know the essence of SV steak, give this a read. Informative but in simple terms.

thanks!
Cent-Tex looking for your real world experience do you like ribs and brisket better with sous vide and a finish maillard sear on the egg. Just wondering then I would just finish it up on my mini. I think your drunken brisket was old style low and slow on the egg. Just wondering your perspective on preference with different standard proteins. Thanks in advance.

I am moving the sous vide tech discussion the here from VI's Sous Vide cooking thread. It got hijacked and we will leave r
That thread as the SV cooking discussion and this one fornthentechie stuff.

Comments