Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Pork Chops

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, you guys did it to me. I went out and impulse purchased a sous vide demi today. I should not visit this forum!!
I have a couple of nice thick pork chops to cook for dinner tomorrow evening. Any suggestions?
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    Why not start out simple? Brine the chops for a couple of hours, then rinse off excess salt. Bag and seal one chop per bag. Cook in preheated Demi at 135F for about three hours. Remove and pat dry. Season before searing over hot coals in the egg. (about 40 seconds per side)

Yum, yum
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Maybe we should have a sous vide forum also.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I like billy bon's idea. I normally don't brine but the egg finish will give you loads of flavor either way.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Why not start out simple? Brine the chops for a couple of hours, then rinse off excess salt. Bag and seal one chop per bag. Cook in preheated Demi at 135F for about three hours. Remove and pat dry. Season before searing over hot coals in the egg. (about 40 seconds per side)

Yum, yum
    Do you normally brine meats that you are doing SV?
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    No, I do not normally brine meats that I am doing SV. However, brining the chops before cooking it SV will help inhibit the secretion of white protein, known as albumen. On his first cook, I wanted his results to be attractive as well as delicious. The albumen does not bother me personally.
  • GlennM
    Options
    I will put them I a brine shortly. Do you use any sugar in the brine?
  • GlennM
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Ok, in the brine, 2 cups water, two tbs kosher salt, 1 1/2 tbs br sugar, a few cracked peppercorns and one smashed garlic clove. I will take them out after a couple of hours, food saver and then in the Demi later today! My wife thinks I have lost my mind!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "However, brining the chops before cooking it SV will help inhibit the secretion of white protein, known as albumen" 
    cool tip. do you know if this works outside of SV, and with other stuff prone to ooze (like salmon)?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    I had never heard of it for pork but sounds good. Lots of people do a 10% salt brine 20-30min for salmon albumin.
    Here is a sous vide pork chop recipe with brine.
    http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2011/01/sous-vide-tender-and-juicy-pork-chops/
    Here is a sous vide BBQ recipe
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/sous-vide-101-spicy-rubbed-pork-chops-with-bbq-barbecue-sauce-recipe.html
  • stike
    Options
    thankibus muchibus.
    i cooked some salmon at a around 350, on a plank, and it didn't have any albumen.  dunno if it was the meat, or the gentler temp.

sometimes i get the albumen and sometimes not, and haven't figured out why.

i wonder if a light brine would help.

thanks newport
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    "However, brining the chops before cooking it SV will help inhibit the secretion of white protein, known as albumen" 
    cool tip. do you know if this works outside of SV, and with other stuff prone to ooze (like salmon)?
    At least for SV, salmon can have a 10 % brine for 10 minutes to reduce albumin coating. Or 5% for 20 min. I haven't tried it under the more extreme heat of grilling, so am uncertain how tightly the salt will keep the albumin from seeping.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You might want to check out e-Gullet. In their cooking sub-forum, the sous vide discussion is currently running close to 60 pages long. There is also an index to earlier discussion threads. Answering questions about SV is what got the Modernist Cuisine project started.
  • stike
    Options
    qdenby... must have sumthin to do with denaturing them ahead of time?
    interesting.
    thanks
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    You might want to check out e-Gullet. In their cooking sub-forum, the sous vide discussion is currently running close to 60 pages long. There is also an index to earlier discussion threads. Answering questions about SV is what got the Modernist Cuisine project started.
    +1 love their sous vide and chamber sealer threads
    Found a interesting tid bit on heat effecting albumin in salmon as well, but I am sure brining will do the job.
    http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?docid=26807 at the bottom of the page.
  • GlennM
    Options
    Sorry to hi-jack the "hi-jacked" thread but the chops are in the Demi now. I just made some herbed potatoes earlier, I'll bring them back to temp when the chops hit the egg!
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    Sorry to hi-jack the "hi-jacked" thread but the chops are in the Demi now. I just made some herbed potatoes earlier, I'll bring them back to temp when the chops hit the egg!

Damn! I put two pork chop recipes up there for you. A lot of sensitive people around here. Hope your food turns out great.
  • stike
    Options
    newport: welp. looks like you and i have been very bad the past two days talking about something brought up in a sous vide thread, by continuing to talk about it in the sous vide thread.

to the extent that i contributed to your delinquency, i'm sorry.
    :))

• Newportlocal
    Options
    newport: welp. looks like you and i have been very bad the past two days talking about something brought up in a sous vide thread, by continuing to talk about it in the sous vide thread.

to the extent that i contributed to your delinquency, i'm sorry.

Yes I am sorry as well we are supposed to use the designated Cen-Tex sous vide thread
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    Options

Yes I am sorry as well we are supposed to use the designated Cen-Tex sous vide thread
    Don't. We need to keep that one on track. That one is being used to discuss Justin Beiber, and cutouts in pants pockets.

Who'da. Thunk it. ;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stike
    Options
    This forum does not have enough Bieber or other OT stuff.  I need to reevaluate this forum for my purposes.
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    This forum does not have enough Bieber or other OT stuff.  I need to reevaluate this forum for my purposes.

You guys are killing me :))
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Im dying laughing. My wife is just staring at me. She knows. I think She is also reevaluating her options at this point.
  • GlennM
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The chops are going on soon. I know Justin Bieber - he took lessons where I work!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The chops are going on soon. I know Justin Bieber - he took lessons where I work!
    What kind of lessons?????????????????????

• GlennM
    Options
    OK. The food is gone,verdict and photos coming soon!
  • GlennM
    Options
    OK, proof. 

The chops were delicious, very tender and moist. Potatoes rocked! So far I am pleased with the Demi. I have been air drying a thick strip loin for a week, that is getting a bath tomorrow! 

Cen-Tex, the answer to your question is "Music"
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice cook. Welcome to the club!
  • GlennM
    Options
    I have been egging for a year now, just starting to post a bit !!  

• Newportlocal
    Options