Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding to my family

Options
ja19412
ja19412 Posts: 20
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a large and am trying to decide if I I want to get a small or medium to go with it. Looking to get it tomorrow because I have a cookout for the weekend. Needing to cook sides at a different temp then the main couse. Any suggestions?....

Comments

• myronnberg
    myronnberg Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a large and have been thinking the same thing.  I know a lot of people on here have gone small or mini as an addition but i was thinking medium.  would rather have too much space instead of not enough given the investment, plus more accessories options.  thats just me.
  • ja19412
    Options
    Yes , I was thinking medium too but without the shelves. I may regret that though. I could always fit two sides on a medium if I could find some that cook at the same temp. Soon we will no even need an oven.
  • myronnberg
    myronnberg Posts: 12
    Options
    and you can always add shelves later or buy/build a table to hold both.  same thoughts on the oven, i havent used ours in............. cant remember
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Large and small work perfectly together and the small is very capable. I love searing on the small and vice versa. The small also travels very well too. Check out this thread for some stuff I cooked up on the small at the lake house:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139543/my-sbge-weekend-adventure#Item_10

The set-up
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    Cazzy... that is a beautiful set-up. :)
    Thank you sir!  I definitely have enjoyed it thus far.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    You can make an argument for any combo, but my vote would be for the small.  I started with a large then added a second large and followed that with a small and a mini.  My larges have become the smokers and bakers and the small and mini are the grillers.

Mini not pictured.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ja19412
    Options
    Nice set up on both. I do want to travel with it to the lake cabin. I have a truck to put it in back of. I think he consensus on here is small, but at the lake I usually cook for 4. The small just doesn't look big enough for that. Does the medium travel well at all
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

I have a large and a medium...I use my large for smoking primarily and the medium gets most of the day to day action.   :D

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    joe@bge: I like the DIY rainproof box for the electronics. Gonna have to borrow that idea.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Yep - someone else posted that idea here a while back and I did the same thing. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    Nice set up on both. I do want to travel with it to the lake cabin. I have a truck to put it in back of. I think he consensus on here is small, but at the lake I usually cook for 4. The small just doesn't look big enough for that. Does the medium travel well at all
    I cooked multiple meals for 10 folks during one weekend with my small.  It was plenty easy...just have to get a tad creative.  I routinely cook for 3.5 peeps with it and it keeps up just fine.