Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a new egg and would like to know if there are suggestions for breaking in a new egg. I have not cooked anything yet and would like to get started today. Is there a particular food which should be cooked initially? etc...

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Phil Sims,
    You don't need to break it in. You can cook whatever you like the first time you use it. A lot of people do steaks first time because it doesn't really require any temperature control skills. You might also try spatchcock chicken (see link) as it is very forgiving and you can mess around with temperature control and learn how your egg reacts to changes in the vent settings. Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]Spatchcock Chicken (LINK)[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Phil Sims,
    Your first cook should be whatever's your favorite: whatever it is is going to be delicious, and better than ever. Given my druthers, I'd do a couple nice steaks. Far enough in advance, you can toss some baking potatoes in too. (I grease 'em up, coat with salt and pepper and wrap in foil. Put 'em right down on the coals when the dome temp reads 400 and roast for an hour.)[p]Welcome to the Land O' Good Eatin'.[p]Ken

• Unknown
    Options
    Phil Sims,[p]I bought one yesterday and the salesperson said to 'cure' it at about 300 degrees for three or four hours first. This is to cure the felt gasket thing which is basically held on by sticky tape and it slowly heats it into bonding well with the cooker (or something like that, I'm not too technical) and he said would help prevent or at least postpone problems with that.[p]I'm planning to do that Sunday morning before our first cook. I bought just about every type of meat that Costco sells and stuck it in the freezer. I have some filets set aside for Sunday, altho it would also be fun to have a 'steak tasting' and do one of a bunch of different kinds. I guess I'd have to pull them off at different times due to thickness differences. Maybe we'll save that til another date when we're more experienced!

• Daddy Pat
    Daddy Pat Posts: 32
    Options
    Phil Sims,
    Cook whatever you like to eat. My first cook was 4 TBONE steaks and grilled corn...cooked on it for about 2 weeks straight, all of my favorties. Try some of the recipes from the website they are great. happy egging -- Daddy Pat

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Gwen,
    first, i think she was fully of it regarding curing the felt. ..at eggfests, you'll see 100 brand new eggs being fired up and cooked on, and i've never heard a bge rep say anything about needing to cure. . ..as long as you have your cranking at 300 degrees, throw a batch of chicken parts on the grid and enjoy some good eating. .. .

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Phil Sims,
    Welcome aboard! It's your call on what to cook. I like to BBQ chicken for a first time cook. Spatchcock or beer can chicken is great for learning temp control and draft door settings. Check out www.nakedwhiz.com for instructions on spatchcock chicken and temp control.
    No need to season or "break in" the egg, it's ready to BBQ the best food you've ever tasted.
    Have fun!
    Clay

• FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    Options
    Phil Sims,pork tenderloins. No need to break in.Fire and cook.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Why of why I have I not looked into you guys talking about this one. Me thinks I'll have to do it sometime over the next week.[p]Dennis

• Unknown
    Options
    Yo Mr football player,[p]Hmmm, as the others have suggested, whatever you like would be a good start, as long as you can safely control the temps. There is a small learning curve for that but not much. Just make sure that you begin with enough lump or we will be seeing you again, soon, asking why you fire died in the middle of the night when doing your first all nighter pork or brisket cook...[p]If’n ya got a pizza stone or plate setter you could do a pizza. Mmmmm, pizza... I haven’t had that in a while and it is sounding good to me. Oh, or shimp. Or pizza with shrimp on it. That sounds pretty damn good right now. Or lamb. Or a stuffed tenderloin. [p]Can you tell that it is almost lunch time here?[p]Cheers,
    Matt.

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I agree. 300 for three to four hours, you could get some baby backs done during that time. At the Texas eggfest, 20 new eggs all smoking first time.

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    I say fill it full of lump, stoke it up good and toss on a couple of steaks.[p]Damn the torpedoes! FULL SPEED AHEAD!![p]Welcome and enjoy![p]:)

• Unknown
    Options
    Phil Sims,[p]My only advice would be to give your self enough time to get the fire going long enough to get rid of the "smoke" taste. My wife hates the smokey taste. Get it going and give it about 45 minutes. I don't cook until I see no smoke, almost no soke, coming out the top![p]jake57