Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE cleaning

tybish
tybish Posts: 61
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Recently just did my first long cook. The inside of the dome now has a tough black layer on it. Is it possible to get the ceramic white again? Will the blackness affect the flavor of future cooks?

Comments

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    No problem with the blackness.

Do about another 100 cooks, then consider a clean burn, although I'm not sure it's ever necessary. I prob do it about once a year if that. You just fire it up wide open with a good load of lump and let it run about 90 min at 650+. It will probably fry your gasket, so consider that in your risk/reward equation.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Your egg will remain black for the rest of it's days. There should be no worries, all of our eggs are that way.  Sort of like the nice white soles on your running shoes, as soon as you use them it's gone forever.

I have done two high temp burns to clean stuff (both times my plate setter which was caked with stuff after not using a drip pan).  First one fried my gasket to the point it peeled off the top of my lid when opening.  Last one toasted some of the glue I used on my Rutland, as well as some of the rutland being black now as opposed to the grey it used to be.

I really see no reason to do a high temp burn unless you just want to clean something that got so crusty you can't scrape it off.  
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    My dome gets black too.  I wonder why the bottom doesn't.  :))

The Naked Whiz
  • tybish
    And a man can never have too many bottle openers! Lol
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    NW, what's the deal with all the bottle openers? Collection maybe? Looks like all are different, cool.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • rjm522
    rjm522 Posts: 7
    I have had my egg for about ten years and never done a high temp burn.....or "cleaned" it for that matter. When I do steaks it gets to 650* or so and that seems to burn off any crud that is inside it. I look at what is inside as flavor, kind of like my cast iron cookware. Don't think of it as dirty, but as seasoned.
    My body is in Atlanta but my mind is on a sunny, warm beach..........
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I did the clean last night and ran my egg up to 600+ for about an hour. Went out this morning and noticed the stock gasket is dead.

Looks like that Rutland I bought last year will be installed today.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tybish
    Any concern on the Rutland being a fiberglass product and next to your food? I wouldn't think it would be an issue.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2012
    Eggo, when I built the table, I decided to put a bottle opener.  I then googled and found the StarrX openers and well, if you are going to put 1 on, why not 2, or 3 or well, 18 will fit across the front.  LOL!  I think when it was all over between eBay and a brewing supply company, I spent about $110 on the openers.  I gave the table away, but I kept the openers.

Tybish, no, there is no concern regarding using fiberglass.  You may hear some rumors that Rutland told BGE that it would cause birth defects, but this is not true.  I did a whole bunch of looking on the internet and communicated with Rutland and you can find my research results here:  Gasket Information 

Rutland says they don't recommend their gasket be used around food, but some take this to be a warning that it is dangerous.  What they are sayings is only that the product is not intended to be used around food.  Therefore, they have never done any testing regarding the safety of using it around food.  Therefore, they have no data about the safety of using it around food.  They aren't saying it is dangerous.  They are saying they don't know if it is dangerous or not.  So, read the material MSDS and draw your own conclusions.  My conclusion is that it is perfectly safe.
    The Naked Whiz
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Thats good to hear about the Rutland. 

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Love the bottle opener look. Need one myself. You noticed I said one. LOL