Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woodford Reserve Trip

Jrod72
Jrod72 Posts: 67
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Heading off to Woodford Reserve distillery today. Anyone know of a good recipe for the best bourbon on earth? I know, just a little bias since it is down the road from me. Thanks.

Comments

• Oh my god. So jealous. My fave (besIdes Pappy Van Winkle, but it's out of production). I know VI has a killer bourbon roast recipe and I saw another dude doing bourbon soaked pineapple with Dizzy Pineapple head rub. Hopefully they will chime in here soon
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jrod72
    Did see the bourbon soak pineapple post. My eyebrows raised on that one. No lie! Hope to hear from others!
  • They will be by. I'll find you the bourbon roast if Gary is off doing other things.

I gotta tell you though, if it were me, no way I'd put woodford in anything other than my gullet. I might TELL people it was a woodford roast, but it would likely be Old Smuggler (my college bourbon) out of the plastic bottle :))

• killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Well,not something you could do on the egg, but it sure makes a really good Manhattan, which will be perfect for while you cook :)
    I use bourbon in a lot of cooking to add that little bit of complexity. Be it beans or anything in the dutch oven. Just a shot or two of bourbon does the trick. 
    Look forward to seeing what recipes are recommended here.. Have a great time at the distillery
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Woodford needs ice and a little time.  Then maybe, maybe a little more ice.  That's all y'all.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Whatever you do, don't smoke it on the egg!  :))

Just enjoy it! 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited June 2012
    Okay-my afternoon just took a left-turn.  I will have to have a refreshment of Van Winkle's 12 year-old (not Pappy's C-T) and then await the bourbon recipes.  Of course, I will then have to find this post tomorrow :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Oh my god. So jealous. My fave (besIdes Pappy Van Winkle, but it's out of production). I know VI has a killer bourbon roast recipe and I saw another dude doing bourbon soaked pineapple with Dizzy Pineapple head rub. Hopefully they will chime in here soon
    Pappy is still in production, it's just in partnership with Buffalo Trace. The orignal distillery Stitzel-Weller closed in 1991, so I guess you could say the original stuff from the original factory is gonna dry up soon. Still, Julian Van Winkle III has "partnered up" with Buffalo Trace to continue the tradition so I'm sure the stuff he puts out will be of the same quality of his grandfathers juice. I mean he was running the Old Rip Van Winkle distillery from 1981 until the closing in 1991 so clearly he knows what he is doing.

Long live Pappy! By far my favorite bourbon. I'm getting married in 2 weeks and I'm taking all of my out of town guests to the Buffalo Trace distillery for a tour. 'Tis good to live in bourbon country!
    Pappy is still in production, it's just in partnership with Buffalo Trace. The orignal distillery Stitzel-Weller closed in 1991, so I guess you could say the original stuff from the original factory is gonna dry up soon. Still, Julian Van Winkle III has "partnered up" with Buffalo Trace to continue the tradition so I'm sure the stuff he puts out will be of the same quality of his grandfathers juice. I mean he was running the Old Rip Van Winkle distillery from 1981 until the closing in 1991 so clearly he knows what he is doing.

Long live Pappy! By far my favorite bourbon. I'm getting married in 2 weeks and I'm taking all of my out of town guests to the Buffalo Trace distillery for a tour. 'Tis good to live in bourbon country!

Incorrect. Jefferson's bought out all the Pappy from Buffalo late last year. It's being marketed under Jefferson Presidential Reserve. Only small special batches remain......for now. Word is he is firing up again sometime but for now, it's over.

Incorrect. Jefferson's bought out all the Pappy from Buffalo late last year. It's being marketed under Jefferson Presidential Reserve. Only small special batches remain......for now. Word is he is firing up again sometime but for now, it's over.
    I believe you are wrong on that one. From what I understand, Jefferson's bought some reserve from Stitzel-Weller when they shut down in 1992 and bottled it as Jefferson's Presidential. PVW is made at Buffalo Trace which is owned by Sazerac.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Have a bottle of Pappy's Family Reserve (23 year old) waiting to be opened after catching a 10 pound bass or first hole in one.  This bottle may get to old before one of those happen!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

I believe you are wrong on that one. From what I understand, Jefferson's bought some reserve from Stitzel-Weller when they shut down in 1992 and bottled it as Jefferson's Presidential. PVW is made at Buffalo Trace which is owned by Sazerac.
    PVW is out of production. Go try to buy a bottle at any shop or restaurant. It's gone. Jefferson bought all the remaining stock last year and blended it in to Jefferson Presidential Select 18 years Old. I waited several months for it to come out and bought a case. If it's not Pappy I'll kiss yer............oh wait, better not
  • And BTW- I REALLY hope I am wrong on this. If you can find me some Pappy, I'm all in. I hounded my liquor guy to find it and he got the story straight from Buffalo and Jefferson (at lest that's what he told me). 

• I understand that Jefferson bought SOME Stitzel-Weller stock and blended it. What I'm telling you is that PVW is NOT out of production. They are just distilling at Buffalo Trace. It will still be called PVW. And for the record, I can go have a glass of PVW right now at NUMEROUS restaurants in town.

I'm not trying to argue. I just figured I would let you know so you could keep your eyes peeled for the next batch of Pappy that is released.

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it is not in stock. Hell, if I were to go to 10 liquor stores per day here in Lexington, for 365 days a year, I would probably only get my hands on a few bottles a year. It just has that cult following so it sells out literally the day it comes in. And that's IF it isn't already spoken for (which it usually is).
  • And BTW- I REALLY hope I am wrong on this. If you can find me some Pappy, I'm all in. I hounded my liquor guy to find it and he got the story straight from Buffalo and Jefferson (at lest that's what he told me). 

I really wish I could help you out. It's really tough to get your hands on. It's almost a curse living in Kentucky, it makes it THAT much harder to get because everyone drinks bourbon here.
  • I understand that Jefferson bought SOME Stitzel-Weller stock and blended it. What I'm telling you is that PVW is NOT out of production. They are just distilling at Buffalo Trace. It will still be called PVW. And for the record, I can go have a glass of PVW right now at NUMEROUS restaurants in town.

I'm not trying to argue. I just figured I would let you know so you could keep your eyes peeled for the next batch of Pappy that is released.

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it is not in stock. @#!*% , if I were to go to 10 liquor stores per day here in Lexington, for 365 days a year, I would probably only get my hands on a few bottles a year. It just has that cult following so it sells out literally the day it comes in. And that's IF it isn't already spoken for (which it usually is).
    I'm glad to hear that. I knew the back story and I knew it was at Buffalo and all that but it just dried up everywhere. I travel all over the country and it all just disappeared at the same time. I started digging and that was the story I got from my guy who said he talked to Buffalo and Jefferson to confirm. I guess he just cant' get it and pushed me on the original Jefferson purchase (there is pappy in those Jefferson bottles- I have a bottle of Pappy too and it's the same). I really hope it comes back out but for now, the Jefferson is getting the job done.

Really appreciate the local insight on this.

I'll be paying him a visit. Thanks for the 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @ CantStopTheReign-I moved to the Louisville area around 14 years ago and was alerted to the Van Winkle bourbons after a couple of years here.  I am a big fan of the 12 year-old and over time it has been more and more difficult to get as are all of them.  But the story I hear is that the popularity has grown so much that they are exporting a great majority to the rest of the good 'ol USA (maybe even Texas) thus reducing the available to buy locally.  Don't know about the story but do know it get's tougher to find every year.  Now time for another-and where are those bourbon cook recipes???:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @ CantStopTheReign-I moved to the Louisville area around 14 years ago and was alerted to the Van Winkle bourbons after a couple of years here.  I am a big fan of the 12 year-old and over time it has been more and more difficult to get as are all of them.  But the story I hear is that the popularity has grown so much that they are exporting a great majority to the rest of the good 'ol USA (maybe even Texas) thus reducing the available to buy locally.  Don't know about the story but do know it get's tougher to find every year.  Now time for another-and where are those bourbon cook recipes???:)
    I can tell you that it was everywhere 8 months ago and just disappeared. I had it all over TX and could buy it any time I wanted...it was everywhere. Then.....poof. Gone.

Maybe they are bringing it back to the locals but more likely, exporting to rich countries at a super premium. I'm telling you, it is a vapor trail out here and it just happened overnight.

• Jrod72
    CantStopTheReign-Nice to see a local egghead on here. I thought this subject could turn out to be a hot topic, especially in bourbon country. Happy touring.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    edited June 2012
    Pappy is still avail. I used to sell very few btls of it when we got our bottle allocation twice a year. We traded the brand to another dist not too long ago. Glad to get rid of it, nothing but a pain in the @ss. Everybody screaming for it. Buffalo Trace is putting out some quality juice and I don't even sell it.
    By the way: Woodford is a beautiful distillery and the whiskey is great. Check it out if you get the chance.
  • I'm going to Buffalo Trace next Saturday, so I'll see if I can get any insider info straight from the horses mouth.
  • I'm going to Buffalo Trace next Saturday, so I'll see if I can get any insider info straight from the horses mouth.
    Thanks! As you can tell, I have a bit of a Pappy obsession :)

I do as well! Not as much as my brother but it is some damn good juice. He says he still sees it up in Mass (just outside of Boston), so maybe your fellow Texans are catching on! My mom lives in Austin and last time I was there I stopped by Specs and talked to the store manager. He told me that they can't keep it in stock. It's gone as soon as it arrives.

I do as well! Not as much as my brother but it is some @#!*% good juice. He says he still sees it up in Mass (just outside of Boston), so maybe your fellow Texans are catching on! My mom lives in Austin and last time I was there I stopped by Specs and talked to the store manager. He told me that they can't keep it in stock. It's gone as soon as it arrives.
    I think they've given up.