Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New purchase decision

Duke_sta
Duke_sta Posts: 26
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I need your opinion on this and I haven't seen it posted yet. I have a choice of getting a large egg or 2 mediums. I like the versatility of the two cooking temps such as searing on one and smoking on the other. But from browsing the site it seems that the large is the way to go. Which should I go for?

Also when I look at the extra large it states that it has 452 sq inches of cooking surface with a 24 inch grid. The 2 mediums have 30 inches of cooking space but only 354 sq inches of cooking surface when you combine the two. What gives?

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

area of a circle = (radius squared) x Pi.

area of a 24"  diameter surface is 452.39

area of a 15" diameter surface is 176.71

two 15" circles have a much small area than one 30"

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

If you have seen my cook pictures, I could certainly frequently get by with a medium to cook meat, but I know for a fact (because I tried it on my brother's medium) that my vegitable  basket won't fit in a medium.

Two Eggs are a great thing to have, but even with two, having mediums would be too small for me.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

If you have seen my cook pictures, I could certainly frequently get by with a medium to cook meat, but I know for a fact (because I tried it on my brother's medium) that my vegitable  basket won't fit in a medium.

Two Eggs are a great thing to have, but even with two, having mediums would be too small for me.

Good point Doc.  I would go with a large, then if needed, add a small/medium later.  Whether it be a vegetable basket, cast iron skillet, or pizza stone, you'll appreciate the extra cooking surface of a large/XL.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Get the large and then a mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474

+1
    Looks like the same price as two mediums.
    See here.
    http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php
  • Duke_sta
    Duke_sta Posts: 26
    That was very helpful, I have been waiting until I was approved to post to ask that question. I will be making my purchase soon and now I know a large it will be.

Thanks again all who responded
  • Newportlocal
    That was very helpful, I have been waiting until I was approved to post to ask that question. I will be making my purchase soon and now I know a large it will be.

Thanks again all who responded

Glad it helped. Guess I could check on my computer, but my iPad isn't giving me a posting option. Guess I am waiting for approval too. Lol Btw I have a mini and love it. Use it daily. Will probably get an xl in the next two weeks, but won't be selling my mini.
  • BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    We have 2 large eggs, one in Wisconsin at our house there, and one in Minnesota at our temporary residence.  I wouldn't do a medium because I don't think it would be big enough for most of our uses.  We use the egg almost every day and sometimes twice a day depending what we are doing.
  • We have 2 large eggs, one in Wisconsin at our house there, and one in Minnesota at our temporary residence.  I wouldn't do a medium because I don't think it would be big enough for most of our uses.  We use the egg almost every day and sometimes twice a day depending what we are doing.
    Man, you know you are hard core Midwestern when your 2nd home is in Minnesota! :))

I kid- I lived up there for 6 years and really enjoyed it. I do believe my 2nd home would be somewhere warm though, but that's just me.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Newportlocal

So he can do cold smoking and jerky. Was this your idea with the dryer vent?
    Btw it's a great idea.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmoking/coldsmokejerky.htm
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Just get an XL. You will not regret it.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52

People with an XL sometimes wish they had a smaller egg as well as the XL, but none of them wish they had a smaller egg instead of the XL.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728

People with an XL sometimes wish they had a smaller egg as well as the XL, but none of them wish they had a smaller egg instead of the XL.
    Well said. I would like a mini or small..... just because. Love the XL and cannot imagine smaller for a primary cooker.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    +1, xl or bust.  You can't make it bigger later

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"