Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza & other general advice.

Options
darkbeer
darkbeer Posts: 16
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've decided to buy an egg this week, I'm having a hard time deciding between a medium and large.  I specifically want to cook a lot of pizza, bread (loaf / flatbread) and other baking.  I'm a vegetarian so there will be no meat going in here.

I see a lot of discussion between the large and medium.  There are a few items that I was not able to address after many weekends of reading over the last month.  The following are my biggest concerns:
  • How much coal does a large use over a medium.  Under what conditions can a large burn a significant amount of coal -- are there any?
  • Can I reach the same temperatures (~1,000) in the large and medium, does the large burn coal significantly faster at these temps over a medium?
  • Will a 14" pizza stone be OK in a medium were I to raise it in the dome with clay feet -- I'm not worried about burnt gaskets and am aware about constricting airflow and that I will need a smaller stone to raise it even further.

It seems everyone who does these things owns a large or extra large.

Is there anyone out there doing all these things in a medium egg? :)

Thank you!

Comments

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Buy the large you wont regret the extra space. I have a large and at times would like more space. However i think a second egg would be more versitile!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Get the large

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Like Eggdam, I have a large and sometimes need more space.  Go with the large over the medium. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Large
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

the medium can do everything the large can do - except space

get the large

• darkbeer
    Options
    I'm surprised that everyone is advocating the large -- does it really make that much sense to get a large and deal with the extra charcoal usage?  I've got a Weber Smokey Joe right now which does fine as far as space goes.  Not being able to effectivly cook high-temp pizza and other baked goods is a deal killer.

What specifically is it about the large is it more than just 'extra space'?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I do a bunch of baking.....two nice size boules wont fit on the medium...these are on a 16" stone.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Lots more accessories available for large....
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
  • darkbeer
    Options
    I do a bunch of baking.....two nice size boules wont fit on the medium...these are on a 16" stone. 
    Those look amazing!  That's enough bread for 2 weeks for this household.  Though being able to make 3 smaller ones of different types is tempting.  How much coal do you use making that much bread and what temp do you cook it at?

• darkbeer
    Options
    Lots more accessories available for large....
    Yes I've noticed that however there are also a lot of accessories for the medium too.  The only thing I've seen lacking are multi-rack setups and there is at least one that will give me a second level.

Thank you for your insightful responses.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    500* for the temp...boules that size take about 45 minutes. Not really sure about lump use, as I don't pay too much attention, but if I pretty much fill the firebox and do a couple loaves, and then shut fire down, there is plenty left for a regular cook later. I usually do bread in the morning and then pizzas for lunch so after a 45 minute bread cook and then a couple pizzas, the load is mostly done. Lump is cheap though so I don't think about it that much...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Something with ability to get high in the dome is probably the best accessory for baking...takes advantage of the heat off the dome more than the heat from the lump...
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The advice for buying an Egg is similar to buying a computer - buy as much as you can afford.  That being said, if you find it hard to afford a Large, save up until you can afford it, then go buy the Large :))

As far as lump usage - think of it this way:  Fire = fuel + air + ignition.  Thus, for a larger vessel housing the fuel, it will require more fuel in order to maintain the same temp as a smaller vessel.  However, we're not talking orders of magnitude here - if you use your Egg 2-5 times / week, it's a safe bet that you may consume 1-2 more bags of lump every couple months or so (give or take, obviously depending heavily on usage). 

A point of curiosity, however - why are you wanting to achieve 1000* temps?  Are you planning on smelting lead in the Egg or something?  ;;)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    If money is not an issue definitely get the large. I just got mine a month ago and love it. Already done a few pizzas and they were great. When I was looking at the store, the medium just looked too small to me. I generally only cook for my wife and I, however if you wanted to entertain I think the medium would be short on space. As far as lump usage, I can not compare with a medium as I don't have one. I have cooked 16 hours straight on one load filled to the fire ring in my large, shut her down and had about half left the next time I used it.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I can't imagine that the difference in lump would be all that much.
    Space is valuable. I never seem to have enough room.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • darkbeer
    Options
    The advice for buying an Egg is similar to buying a computer - buy as much as you can afford.  That being said, if you find it hard to afford a Large, save up until you can afford it, then go buy the Large :))
    Thankfully money isn't an issue.  I'm more worried about wasting resources unnecessarily.  I'd hate to be burning through coal and underusing the egg.
    As far as lump usage - think of it this way:  Fire = fuel + air + ignition.  Thus, for a larger vessel housing the fuel, it will require more fuel in order to maintain the same temp as a smaller vessel.  However, we're not talking orders of magnitude here - if you use your Egg 2-5 times / week, it's a safe bet that you may consume 1-2 more bags of lump every couple months or so (give or take, obviously depending heavily on usage). 
    That's not too bad, how big is a 'bag'.  20lbs?  That's what I get now (big green egg) and 10lb Maple.

A point of curiosity, however - why are you wanting to achieve 1000* temps?  Are you planning on smelting lead in the Egg or something?  ;;)
    Neapolitan pizza.. is there any other reason? :)

• darkbeer
    Options
    If money is not an issue definitely get the large. I just got mine a month ago and love it. Already done a few pizzas and they were great. When I was looking at the store, the medium just looked too small to me. I generally only cook for my wife and I, however if you wanted to entertain I think the medium would be short on space. As far as lump usage, I can not compare with a medium as I don't have one. I have cooked 16 hours straight on one load filled to the fire ring in my large, shut her down and had about half left the next time I used it.
    Wow that's very good usage!  Roughly how many pounds goes into a full load?  I have so many questions I wish the dealer near me had more answers about these questions.  Thank you.
  • darkbeer
    Options
    500* for the temp...boules that size take about 45 minutes. Not really sure about lump use, as I don't pay too much attention, but if I pretty much fill the firebox and do a couple loaves, and then shut fire down, there is plenty left for a regular cook later. I usually do bread in the morning and then pizzas for lunch so after a 45 minute bread cook and then a couple pizzas, the load is mostly done. Lump is cheap though so I don't think about it that much...
    That sounds pretty good, how many pounds or how many fills of the firebox will you get from a 20lb bag?  Thank you for the patience in answering these questions!
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    I use my egg 2-5 times per week and use around a bag to a bag and a quarter a month in my large. I would guess to fill a brand new large firebox from empty is about 4 lbs to the line.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I get 22lb bags and can probably fill about 4 pretty full loads with one. I really only fill that full for long hot cooks...multiple batches of bread or a bunch of pizzas so it's not a good indicator of regular use.

• darkbeer
    Options
    I use my egg 2-5 times per week and use around a bag to a bag and a quarter a month in my large. I would guess to fill a brand new large firebox from empty is about 4 lbs to the line.
    That's far less than I was thinking, thanks!
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options

Wow that's very good usage!  Roughly how many pounds goes into a full load?  I have so many questions I wish the dealer near me had more answers about these questions.  Thank you.
    I would say around 4 - 5 lbs to fill up a large BGE. I feel your pain with the dealer. I am sure there are some knowledgeable dealers around, however mine was not among them either. I was telling the guy at the store things about the egg. I never even had an egg prior but spent a week or two reading up on it before deciding to take the plunge.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    darkbeer,  You will be surprised at how little charcoal you use the egg is so efficient.   If you are debating size go with the larger size.    If you go larger you can alway put anther loaf of bread on.   Charcoal usage should not be in the equation.   My XL never burns a significant amount of charcoal I can not see why a large would.    Also I have never read a post that said "I wish I had bought a smaller egg"    
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • darkbeer
    Options
    darkbeer,  You will be surprised at how little charcoal you use the egg is so efficient.   If you are debating size go with the larger size.    If you go larger you can alway put anther loaf of bread on.   Charcoal usage should not be in the equation.   My XL never burns a significant amount of charcoal I can not see why a large would.    Also I have never read a post that said "I wish I had bought a smaller egg"    
    Thanks.  You're right I've never seen anyone say they wish they had bought a smaller one either but I have read a lot of people buying more than one egg and saying they use the smaller one most of the time.  I've cooked for 15 people on my small Weber kettle which offers a 13" cooking area.  I'll probably take one last look tomorrow and decide in-person whether I want a large or medium and try a few different setups.
  • ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28
    Options
    If you are used to cooking on the 13" grate of the Weber, I don't think you would have any issues with 15" diameter of the medium. If you use a grill basket or similar device to cook veggies in you may want to make sure it fits under the dome when it is closed and yes, I just contradicted my first sentence. Other than that, if you don’t find yourself wishing you had more space with your Weber, I doubt you will be wishing for more space with a BGE.

In regards to adding pizza and bread; if you think the two boles Mighty_Quinn produced is enough for two weeks for your family I doubt you will miss the extra space of the large. After all who wants to eat stale bread?
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    Options
    Can an Egg really get to 1000 degrees, or is it just an issue of most people not wanting to burn out a gasket? I haven't tried pizza on mine yet, but everything I'm reading suggests the set up of the egg makes it hard to get the right balance of cooked top and unburnt crust even at 500-600 degrees. At 1000, I'd think it would be almost impossible to keep the crust from burning.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Get the large.

The medium seems to be like the lil red headed step kid.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• darkbeer
    Options
    Can an Egg really get to 1000 degrees, or is it just an issue of most people not wanting to burn out a gasket? I haven't tried pizza on mine yet, but everything I'm reading suggests the set up of the egg makes it hard to get the right balance of cooked top and unburnt crust even at 500-600 degrees. At 1000, I'd think it would be almost impossible to keep the crust from burning.
    Yes, they can.  When I lived in Texas I regularly watched several people push it to 1,100 - 1,200.  Some of the best Neapolitan pizza I've had.  It only takes about 30-50 seconds to cook.  Also this is the temperature of the air around the stone not the stone itself.  It's a little tricky doing it in a closed environment like the egg since the stone is above and not *beside* the heat source but it is possible.  The technique they used involved raising the stone up into the dome with firebricks underneath the pizza stone and another pizza stone underneath.  There are many websites and videos around the Internet that show people doing this successfully and is one of my biggest motivations to get an egg.
  • darkbeer
    Options
    If you are used to cooking on the 13" grate of the Weber, I don't think you would have any issues with 15" diameter of the medium. If you use a grill basket or similar device to cook veggies in you may want to make sure it fits under the dome when it is closed and yes, I just contradicted my first sentence. Other than that, if you don’t find yourself wishing you had more space with your Weber, I doubt you will be wishing for more space with a BGE.
    No grill baskets here, there is nothing like a veggie roasted over an open flame.

IIn regards to adding pizza and bread; if you think the two boles Mighty_Quinn produced is enough for two weeks for your family I doubt you will miss the extra space of the large. After all who wants to eat stale bread?
    Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.  However after mulling it over I'm thinking a large may be more prudent.  While I *am* used to cooking on a smaller grill it's not like I can fit everything on there at the same time.  If I get a medium and spend 30 mins cooking food (multiple rounds) versus the 10-20 mins it may take me with a large it feels like the coal usage will be fairly similar.  I've never done one round of cooking on my Weber with a large I can fit everything on at once and finish quicker.

The large *feels* massive, it's 40% than the medium.  However the medium is only ~15% larger than my Weber.  When I think about the large only being about 50% bigger than my Weber it doesn't feel as massive as I've been thinking.

From the information I've gotten in this post and around the Internet it sounds like the large doesn't use a significant amount of extra charcoal.  I won't notice using an extra bag or two each season.

Thanks for the response!