Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to start a fire!

Options

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

Good to hear. The majority of reviews have been great as well. I'm going to pick one up. Thanks.
    Consider the heat gun. It works extremely well and is about $60 less.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options

Just out of curiosity, for those who use a torch, how long do you hold it at one spot?  Do you hold it there for less than a minute until the charcoal is red and crackling or longer (2-3 minutes) until a brisk flame is going by itself?

about 15-20 seconds per spot...
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I use an electric starter. Maybe because it is how I remember my dad starting his weber. It might not be as fancy as some of the other stuff, but it gets the job done just fine. It also only cost me $10.
  • Mowgli
    Mowgli Posts: 34
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, for those who use a torch, how long do you hold it at one spot?  Do you hold it there for less than a minute until the charcoal is red and crackling or longer (2-3 minutes) until a brisk flame is going by itself?
    1-1½ minutes when i need more than one spot, and round 2-3 minutes in the middel for low and slow. 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Wow mowgli...that's a long time to stand there holding the torch. I go for 20 seconds or less per spot, leave lid open for a few minutes it's good to go.
  • OrangeFan
    OrangeFan Posts: 2
    Options
    I am new at this (as you may be able to tell from my post count) but I use the same method I used in my offset smoker for a couple years. A cheap propane torch on a single, albeit larger, piece of lump in the center/top of the pile. Takes about 30 seconds tops. The fire spreads nice and slow from there.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options

I spray down the inside with lighter fluid and then use a bic lighter. It gives off that great taste and removes all the hair from my knuckles!

Normally an electric starter. When the wife steals my extension cord I go for the easy paper towel and veg oil.

• Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    Options
    I am a fan of the paper towel with a little bit of vegetable oil on it.  Depending on my target temp, I will leave the dome open longer for higher temp, and close it after the smoke from the towel disappears for lower temps.

I always just like a small spot in the center, it seems to spread fast enough for high heat sears.  By the time I get done prepping the food, getting all the utensils gathered up, and explaining to the neighbors what this big green thing is ;-), it is ready to go.
  • Dakine_Egger
    Options
    Wow mowgli...that's a long time to stand there holding the torch. I go for 20 seconds or less per spot, leave lid open for a few minutes it's good to go.
    I asked the question because I was wondering if I could get away with a shorter duration.  Like Mowgli, I've been holding at each spot for at least 1 - 1.5 minutes until a good flame was going.  Shorter duration would mean less sparks burning my skin and shirts.
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    I use the BGE cubes or a Mapp torch.
  • Mowgli
    Mowgli Posts: 34
    Options
    Hmmm well - it works 8-)
    But I am always open for new ideas, so I will give it a go with 20 sec. next time.
    (I am rather new at this, so I am still learning 8-)
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    BGE starter cubes. I cut each cube in 4 parts. 1 pack gives me 96 pieces for 8$cdn.

Options
    Thanks all I think I'm going to try the cubes first and then maybe my Matco heat gun!
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    I have used nearly all of the above. Started with wax cubes, tried paper towel with oil, keep 91% alcohol on the table, have a mapp torch and use them all. They are all easy and effective. Oh yeah forgot I also use a chimney occasionally since I still have an old gasser with side burner, just light the chimney on side burner. I really don't have a favorite.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    The egg dealership by my house is owned by two brothers one uses cubes the other uses an electric starter.
  • Mudhole
    Mudhole Posts: 26
    Options
    Light saber, but if the batteries are dead, then I use the VT-1-32 C Mini Dragon by Flame Engineering......
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I use my heat gun if I'm out of starter cubes. I've used both weber cubes and rutland fire starters. I like the webers because they light super fast and they are cheap. However, I like the rutlands better because they burn longer and get my fire going better.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    For those of you who use the paper towells soaked in veg oil then twisted, ever try making a bunch and keeping them in a plastic bag or other storage container?  When I use them I make just two or three for the fire I"m starting, but it would be just as easy to make a bunch at once.  The only downside to them is the mess of making them in my opinion.
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    For those of you who use the paper towells soaked in veg oil then twisted, ever try making a bunch and keeping them in a plastic bag or other storage container?  When I use them I make just two or three for the fire I"m starting, but it would be just as easy to make a bunch at once.  The only downside to them is the mess of making them in my opinion.

Sounds the same for me, but my hands are already messy setting up the charcoal. I just wash them after I get it lit. I have medical nitrile gloves. I should start using them for set up. That being said starter cubes are on my list to get.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    shouldn't be any mess with the paper napkins/oil.

'soaking'  in oil is overkill.  shouldn't be soaking.  just a light drizzle.

i twist them tight, and there is little or no dripping.  should be translucent.  it isn't the oil that burns.  and it ain't the paper.  it's the oil-n-paper
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    shouldn't be any mess with the paper napkins/oil.

'soaking'  in oil is overkill.  shouldn't be soaking.  just a light drizzle.

i twist them tight, and there is little or no dripping.  should be translucent.  it isn't the oil that burns.  and it ain't the paper.  it's the oil-n-paper

I will try it with less, sounds like I will still get adequate burn time. Thanks for the tip.
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Options
    Heat gun is the way to go I bought mine from harbor frieght for $14.00
  • Nebraskaegger
    Options
    I have used the BGE starter cubes, electric starters and the chimney starter but I prefer my MAPP torch.  Just don't wear your Sunday best while lighting as they can shoot out some pretty good sparks!
  • rjm522
    rjm522 Posts: 7
    Options
    MAPP gas torch. I can light my large egg in about a minute and a half. A bottle will last a long time....at least for me....and it is inexpensive.
    My body is in Atlanta but my mind is on a sunny, warm beach..........
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited June 2012
    Options
    @newportlocal: this is all i use
    in fact, this is maybe more than i use.  you just want the paper to be translucent, nut not dripping

when twisted, the ends are actually still dry. no drips, no mess

in terms of time (mine, not the egg's), i haven't found a truly faster/cheaper way to light the egg.  and wire to wire (getting from 0 to desired temp), only the weedburner is faster.  but the weedburner needs storage, and often showers sparks like a muther.

i haven't tried the alcohol trick.  but in my perverted thinking, i'm probably likely to have paper napkins or towels on hand, plus cooking oil (any oil).  in fact, i resorted to this after forgetting the starter cubes while camping.

discovered too that these burn faster and cleaner than the cubes, and do not throw horrible tasting smoke 9like the starters do if they don't fully burn)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    @$$%^(& hurricane backup plan.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NattChukk
    NattChukk Posts: 15
    Options
    I use a Looftlighter. Not only does it get a nice coalbed quickly, but you can use it to fan the flames for multiple cooks at different temps.
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    @newportlocal: this is all i use
    in fact, this is maybe more than i use.  you just want the paper to be translucent, nut not dripping

when twisted, the ends are actually still dry. no drips, no mess

in terms of time (mine, not the egg's), i haven't found a truly faster/cheaper way to light the egg.  and wire to wire (getting from 0 to desired temp), only the weedburner is faster.  but the weedburner needs storage, and often showers sparks like a muther.

i haven't tried the alcohol trick.  but in my perverted thinking, i'm probably likely to have paper napkins or towels on hand, plus cooking oil (any oil).  in fact, i resorted to this after forgetting the starter cubes while camping.

discovered too that these burn faster and cleaner than the cubes, and do not throw horrible tasting smoke 9like the starters do if they don't fully burn)

Thanks for the great response. You actually helped with with the olive oil dispenser in the photo too. That's a better method. You have convinced me to stay with the paper towel vegetable oil method I have been using and helped me perfect it.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I use the exact same method above. Light the ends and make an X in the charcoal with the rolled paper towels and then stack some lump around the lit ends. Works fastest way I have found yet and it is cheap.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Its amazing how many ways there are to light an egg
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93