Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket fail

Options
2»

Comments

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Cen Tex,
    The next attempt I will get a packer cut. During my last cook I was reading the forum about brisket cooks and was horrified to learn that small trimmed flats are difficult. Will resolve that next time. The trimmed flat did have a fat cap on it, real thin though.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen Tex,
    The next attempt I will get a packer cut. During my last cook I was reading the forum about brisket cooks and was horrified to learn that small trimmed flats are difficult. Will resolve that next time. The trimmed flat did have a fat cap on it, real thin though.
    If you can get a packer, life will be easier. if nothing else, the point is always delicious even when the flat is dried out. In my house, we eat the point and give the flat to the kids :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options

And I've probably messed up $1000 worth before getting it right.  Most people would just move on, but not down here. If you can't do brisket, you are a Yankee :)

HEY! You know a Yankee that pulled it off, with pics to prove it!
    :D

(Lol, but even I will say it was beginners luck ;) ).
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

And I've probably messed up $1000 worth before getting it right.  Most people would just move on, but not down here. If you can't do brisket, you are a Yankee :)

HEY! You know a Yankee that pulled it off, with pics to prove it!
    :D

(Lol, but even I will say it was beginners luck ;) ).
    Plenty of yanks can do them and probably better than me. I'm just Sayin that BBQ down here means brisket and if you came make a decent run at one, go buy it.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    LBJ's brisket chef would dig a hole in the ground, light a fire and put the brisket on a tripod grate surrounded by old corrugated tin roof panels. People came from miles to eat it.

It's all about experience. Don't give up.

I live in central KY.  Western KY is much more of a BBQ area.  I had a buddy down there and we had been talking about Q for a couple of years.  I visited him at his house and said let me see your pit.  He took me out in the back yard where he had some cinderblocks stacked up and a piece of tin over the top of it.  I laughed at him and the next night laughed at myself when we had some great Q from that "piece of s___ pit that he had.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    LBJ's brisket chef would dig a hole in the ground, light a fire and put the brisket on a tripod grate surrounded by old corrugated tin roof panels. People came from miles to eat it.

It's all about experience. Don't give up.

I live in central KY.  Western KY is much more of a BBQ area.  I had a buddy down there and we had been talking about Q for a couple of years.  I visited him at his house and said let me see your pit.  He took me out in the back yard where he had some cinderblocks stacked up and a piece of tin over the top of it.  I laughed at him and the next night laughed at myself when we had some great Q from that "piece of s___ pit that he had.

Great story. I wish I had a pit like that just for kicks.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker it reminds me of the old addage:  It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker it reminds me of the old addage:  It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

Well said.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options

Well said.

Are you calling me an indian?

LMAO I am kidding....great quote. The brisket didnt have a great amount of flavor either, I poured worcestershire sauce on it and then rubbed with jacks old south meat rub and let sit overnight. I figured it would have a lot of flavor.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Well said.

LMAO I am kidding....great quote. The brisket didnt have a great amount of flavor either, I poured worcestershire sauce on it and then rubbed with jacks old south meat rub and let sit overnight. I figured it would have a lot of flavor.

Because you cut off all the fat
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Well said.

Because you cut off all the fat
    and the point- which is where all the flavor is anyway

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Ohh....oops.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."