Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crack in my Large Green Egg

Options
Meathead847
Meathead847 Posts: 29
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I cook the other day as per normal and the next day before cooking I did a monthly clean when emptying the fire box I noticed a crack straight along the bottom of my Egg now I worried. Will warranty cover this and can I still cook please help.

Comments

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Warrenty should cover it no problem. You will probably need some pictures. Just contact your dealer.
  • Meathead847
    Options
    Ok that's what I'm gonna do cheers
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

A crack in the actual egg, or in fire box?  Both should be covered.

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Options
    I would call HQ first and get Bruce on the line in the warranty dept. He'll direct you to go to your dealer, but first he'll tell you if it will be covered(which it sounds like it should) and more importantly, whether or not you can use it until your replacement arrives.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

I have a crack in the ceramic base of my XL that starts at the felt line and goes down about 6 inches (inside and out).  I took pictures back to my dealer and they are working with the mothership to get a new base.  BGE has approved the warrenty replacement and it should arrive at the dealer late this week or early next week.  The dealer will then schedule a time to come out to my house and swap out the base.  Not an overly quick process but I can still cook on my cracked egg while I'm waiting.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
     I have a crack in my large as well. Sounds just like yours. I took pictures and emailed them to my dealer and he took care of it. I have had the new one for a year now, still in the box it came in. just waiting on mine to get worse. Looks the same as it did a year ago. Guess I will just keep using it till it shows me a sign.
  • Meathead847
    Options
     I spoke to my dealer today she said " I cant see it being a problem" so I'm gonna take some Pictures and send them off too her. So fingers crossed everything will go with no hiccups. She said " please don't use it but I don't know if I can go without my egg for that long !! 

• Meathead847
    Options
    Thats Awesome Rolling Egg!!!!!

I have a crack in my large as well. Sounds just like yours. I took picturesand emailed them to my dealer and he took care of it. I have had the new one for a year now, still in the box it came in. just waiting on mine to get worse. Looks the same as it did a year ago. Guess I will just keep using it till it shows me a sign.

• BGE_Qin
    BGE_Qin Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Options

I also had one of my two crack. They replaced the base. Now I have my other one starting to crack across the bottom. Right now I am keeping an eye on it. I have used it a few times since I noticed it. On the first one I was told to go ahead and keep using it till the new one came in. So that is why I am using the other one for now. If I notice it getting worse then I will get things taken care of.

The first one was an older egg and my other one is only 2-3 years old.

Also any ideas on why this would be happening? It's not like I move them around. The first one is in a table and the other one is in a nest. The one in the table had been in the garage over the winter and the other one out on the deck. The later of the two is always covered (once it cools off enough) after each use.

• Meathead847
    Options
    Just to keep everybody in Informed I spoke to my dealer and within 48hours the warranty was Approved by BGE and I have a new base waiting for me at the dealer. I just have to drop the old one off......all good in the end and its good to see that Warranty do actually work... Thanks for all your advice in this matter happy smoking !! 
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Options
    It's great to see a company that stands behind the product they quickly take your money for.  Right on BGE!