Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza question

Options
Sclemen
Sclemen Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tried pizza a few times and turned out good.  The first time was better than the second becasue I burned the bottom the second time around.  Wonderign if I had the egg too hot as it was over 700.  Any thoughts on best way to get to  it cooked all the way through with having having a black bottom crust?

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    The obvious is to cook at lower temps, but you do not have to. I always do mine around 600-650 and I set up with the plate setter legs up, the grate on that and the stone on the grate. If you are using this setup, and still burning before your toppings get done, just put the stone higher in the dome. (fire bricks or other method.)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Stone on the grill over the platesetter legs up at 450-550 for 11-12 minutes seems to be the sweet spot for me...  I tested various temperatures and anything over 550 = black crust and toppings not done.

I ordered a PSWoo and extender last week,  they arrived at the post office today.  I cant wait to try with the stone higher up in the dome and higher temperatures!  I will report back after testing.

Options
    Stone on the grill over the platesetter legs up at 450-550 for 11-12 minutes seems to be the sweet spot for me...  I tested various temperatures and anything over 550 = black crust and toppings not done.

I ordered a PSWoo and extender last week,  they arrived at the post office today.  I cant wait to try with the stone higher up in the dome and higher temperatures!  I will report back after testing.
    I forgot to mention,  I also put a drip pan with water on the platesetter.

I cook at 550 with the stone on the plate setter with legs down. I have never had any problems cooking pizzas this way. I will need to try with the legs up method to see the difference. I agree with paqman, I would not cook any hotter than 550.
  • Mowgli
    Mowgli Posts: 34
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I Always use the authentic Vera Pizza Napoletana dough for high heat cooks.
    Because there is no Sugar/oil in this dough it wont burn and I can make pizzas at 660F+ without getting a black crust or burned toppings.
    Platesetter legs up, the grate on the platesetter legs and the pizzastone on top

1. 500 g. High protein flour.
    2. 325 g. Water.
    3. 10 g. Salt.
    4. 3 g. Dry yeast
    For more information on the Vera Pizza Napoletana check this link
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Because there is no Sugar/oil in this dough it wont burn and I can make pizzas at 660F+ without getting a black crust or burned toppings.
    How long do you cook?

Options
    How long do you cook?
    3-6 minutes