Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newish Egger, New Table, and First Cook on XL

RocEGG
RocEGG Posts: 89
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
Been lurking around for quite a while. Also been cooking on my Dad's large for a years. Decided to replace my old New Braunfels barrel smoker/grill with a new XL egg. Picked that up a few weeks ago and have been working on a table in the mean time. Just sort of winged it for plans. Built out of solid heartwood spanish cedar, glued and screwed with stainless kreg pocket screws. Finished it with a sprayed coat of thompsons clear water seal. Since I am tall I built the table 36" to the top surface. Dimensions for the top ended up being 34" x 66".

Finally got the table out onto the deck with the help of a friend and the base into the table, assembled in place from there. went together great and had it finished in an hour. Decided to do my first cook in it last night with pizzas. Didn't have a platesetter or woo and stone so I just built a smallish fire towards the back of the firebox and put my pizza stone in the front of the egg. Got the temp stable at 500 for about 25 minutes and then put the pizza on. First is a standard red sauce and mozzarella for the kid, second is a black truffle oil, fresh mozzarella, cracked black pepper and salt, and sauteed shallots. Cooked them for about 8 minutes with a turn in the middle. They came out great. They were so good I got out another dough ball and did another of the black truffle pizza at 550, which took 5 minutes to cook and turned out great too.

Up next I've got some choice ribeyes, a pork butt, and some smoked sausages waiting in the wings.

Rochester, NY  - XL BGE

Comments